The Road To Transylvania - Part 11 - Bucharest


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Bucharest
September 12th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bucharest

Bucharest is the capital city, industrial, and commercial centre of Romania.

Carpathian MountainsCarpathian MountainsCarpathian Mountains

From the train
Bucharest
Saturday 16th February 2008

So Bucharest was where we decided to call it a day. The absolute cheapest flight we could find was with Wizz Air, Bucharest to Liverpool - £78.

The train journey from Brasov to Bucharest was incredible. The views of the Carpathian Mountains have to be seen to be believed. It’s a pity we didn’t have time to get off and hike.

Bucharest is a difficult place to appreciate. As far as the city centre goes, we had absolutely no time to explore as we took a taxi straight to the airport. Our initial impression - as seems to be the case with most people on arrival - was, “oh no.” I’m sure Bucharest has much more to offer than “oh no” but given the circumstances, exploration of the city just wasn’t possible.

Our last few hours in Romania were spent trudging through partially melted snow along the side of road in search of a KFC. An unpleasant experience, though in retrospect it was quite amusing. Less said about Baneasa Airport the better...

In Retrospect
September 12th 2008

6 months later, it’s still very easy to recall the details of our
Carpathian MountainsCarpathian MountainsCarpathian Mountains

From the train
brief trip through Europe. We saw a lot in a short space of time and had some momentous laughs! In retrospect I think the 3 of us wish we’d said hell to the money and gone all the way to Athens, though I think it would’ve been tough.

Eastern Europe will always appeal to me as personally I feel it has a lot more to offer culturally than a lot of Western Europe. In the future I hope to spend several months travelling through Europe, possibly revisiting places like Slovenia and Transylvania in order to fully appreciate the way of life out there.

If we learned one thing as a collective, it is this - 10 days just isn’t enough!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Carpathian MountainsCarpathian Mountains
Carpathian Mountains

From the train
SleepingSleeping
Sleeping

Elderly Austrian sleeping on the train
Final thoughts...Final thoughts...
Final thoughts...

John is less than impressed


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb