Still in Romania


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Bucharest » Oltenitei
August 26th 2009
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi guys,

Well we are still in Romania and getting over a tummy bug. About 5 days ago I started with the squits and tummy cramps and the day after Scott started too. We are still suffering and it is not great when we are wild camping!. We are slowly getting better and can only put it down to the green slim in the water container - so we have got new bottles(scott....I personally think its the beer, so am switching to spirts for abit, will making drivung difficult but caroline will have to learn to pour while moving).

Well since we have left you we have had a few adventures in Romania. We left Sighisora we visited more saxon villages and stayed in a little village. One day (while waiting for the washing to dry!) we took a 12 km walk into the nearest town and ended up watching Hull City get beaten by Chelsea in a bar - very strange in the middle of nowhere in Romania!.

After that we headed off the beaten track (not that the tracks we have been on are well beaten). We went to a place called Sarmizegetusa to see an ancient calender made using wooden logs of different hights in circles - along the lines of stonehenge.
Now until now I thought we had seen bad roads but this was something else totally (scott.....Well it is a dirt raod so similar in a way!!). I have no idea how Ducky did it. I think he must have been a 4x4 in a past life or something. Not only uphill about 9% but the roads were worse then dirt roads - just mud with heaps of ruts in it. In places the road has crumbled over the edge - they just stick a sign in front of it so you drive around it!.
Once we had been up there we carried on to some caves in the next village and did a similar road (but a lot less driven). God bless Ducky. On the way to the caves we gave a hitchikker a lift. We he was a 40yr old scout!. He told us about his scout camp and invited us up - once we fixed the fridge he pulled off its mounts he brought a friend down and showed us to his camp. This is 20 mins up a steap hill - bloody steap hill. There we found 30 romanian kids, 5 USA charity workers and a crazy guy called German. He was the friendliest crazy guy ever and he runs the camp. They gave us lunch and equipment and 6 of us went to the caves. We would never have found the caves without them and wouldnt have even made in 1% of the way in. The tour was so so good - best one we have had(Apart from where they were aguring over which path to take back to the entry, with failing torches).
Afterwards we had an evening meal with them, listened to guiter over the camp fire drinking Polaki, slept on the floor in a log cabin and had breakfast. It was great to be part of a large group. During the conversation we ended up giving an american a lift to Sibiu (via a nice castle).

Sibiu was nothing special and ended up driving up a mountain to find a camping spot ( Scott......To do the other wheel bearing and replace a missing brake calipher bolt). Miles from anywhere with a great view. After Sibiu we traveled south along one of the highest roads in Europe - Transfagarasan Road. It is only open for 2 months a year and it is amazing (luckily I was not driving or we would still be on it!). Also the Romanians park and where and do not have the driving sense they were born with so it was total kayos on the roads and people just camping on the side of the roads all over the place. We saw the result of getting too close to the edge - a BMW had rolled down the hill!. My fear of heights not improved. There was cable car rides and stuff but just too crazy to even think about stopping. On the other side we camped by the river (next to the litter - romania is COVERED in litter!). Had another camp fire - Scott had bought an axe so we could get some wood this time.

After that it has been a bit of a disappointment. Went to Bran to see the amazing castle (What??? Did we see the same castle!) and it was just a busy street full of stalls selling shit and a crap castle. Brasov was very over rated and nothing really to see and yesterdays trip into Bucharest was also a big let down. Not a great deal to see. Scott wanted to go to the national museam which was closed so we are going back in today. We will go see the second largest building in the world, a lane of fountains longer then the one in Paris and hopefully the national history museam.
I think after that we will treat ourselves. I was thinking a curry but tummy is still not good so maybe not!.

Right I think that is about all we have. Going to the coast next then dropping down into Bulgaria.

Advertisement



1st September 2009

WHAT A GREAT READ
sounds like your having a great time I am reading michael palin at the moment ,but your book is more exciting. Went out with the girls on fri very quiet with out you, we dont drink as much. still no sign of baby in jenny's Tummy, as flat as a pancake still, even though she iswearing maternity clothes, no need she could have borrowed mine. When are you due back as you dont seem to have got far, at this rate, it will be your 40 th before your back. Have a great time in Bulgaria,keep the novel coming.
2nd September 2009

wow
you really didn't like it in romania is it?you called my city,brasov overrated and you tought that you will se only ghosts in every single house but suprise that didn't happened.you make me sad for not loving my country.
7th September 2009

I love Romania
Vladek. Glad your reading my blog but I think I mislead people. I LOVE romania but I just didnt rate Brasov (no where near as nice as sigasora or Sibiu)and had no expectations of ghosts!. Keep reading.
7th September 2009

Thanks
Thanks Lisa - I'll keep the chapters coming if you send me some. xx
10th September 2009

oh sorry
i tought you didn't enjoy romania.my mistake.im glad you enjoyed my country.come back and visit :)

Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb