Into Bulgaria


Advertisement
Bulgaria's flag
Europe » Bulgaria » Veliko Tarnovo Province » Veliko Tarnovo
September 7th 2009
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sorry it is been a while since the last update and we have had a few adventures.

Firstly we went to Bucharest which is really dull. The second largest building in the world is there and worth missing. Also we had a typical travel inccident! I will let Scott tell you the story (please dont laugh at him too much!)...

.......Scott is to embarrased. Some guy, an egyptian asked if they use euros here. Scott explained about the Leve and gets his wallet out to show a few notes. At that the guy grabs hold of the money "to look at it"- I step in a take it off him. Then a random guy comes up and starts distracting us. Later we looked in the wallet and are missing 6 x 50 lev notes (about £70). The guy was SO quick I thought I had got it all off him quick enough but right in frount of us with us both watching he lifter 6 notes?! Another one to tick off the list!.

So after that we tried to make it to the Delta of the Danube in the north. We made it across on a "ferry" (More of a floating platform pushed by a boat)- kind of goes when full 4 car thing!. It made me enjoy Romania again although not the roads - my god we turned around once then decided to try again. We spent a good few hours bouncing along before we asked someone and they told us the road was actually closed!. Tried and failed. Spent the night next to the river and watched large boats make their way to Tulcea.

After that we headed down the coast and found a campsite on a golden beach and enjoyed the next day in the sun on the beach. IT was so sunny I burnt my belly :-(. The next day we had planned to stay again but the weather had turned so headed south to Bulgaria.

I hope I didnt mislead people but I loved Romania - it is my frav country so far. (So anymore Romanians reading this Romania was Awesome except Brasov which was SHIT and dont kid yourselves, it didnt have the "WOW" of places like Sigasora!!!)

So into Bulgaria, Scott gets a stamp and I get confussed by the cyrillic alphabet!.

The first stop was Verna ( Well this was the second the first was Kaliaka Cape which was old Thracian/Roman ruins on a Cape) which is a pain to get around but finally we found the archaeological museum which is really good and from there to a really poor roman remains.

Then it was along the over developed coast and to Nesebar which is a 3000BC town. It is an amazing cobbled old town but so over developed and touristy.

After that we heared about a possible campsite (hadnt seen on for a few hot days as they are so rare in Bulgaria!) so we headed up to the north and to Madara. Here there is a "man on a horse" carved into a cliff face. Although it is old it is slightly disappointing and that was that until Scott saw a sign for a fortress. It was bloody miles and up 380 odd steap steps in the hot sun!. Having said that it was impressive. From there we went to Shumen which was close by and the Bulgaria monument (Which is a HUGE monstrous construction of thousands of tons of concrete, amazing though). It is a massive block of concreat with statues carved into it (they look a little like transformers!) Really interesting and when we asked at the kiosk where the near by fortress was we were given a certificate!?!?! one of the bigger break downs in communications!. (We found the fortress the next day, as we passed it the day before and didnt notice...........and actually we could have missed it, because the restoration work must have been done under the old communist rule, huge slabs of concrete to and steel reinforced (takes the historic value away)

We carried on northwest to RUSE to get information on the national park. On the way there we found the most northernly roman city! In the town we stopped for a bite to eat and I had to try the brains (you are what you eat!) they were actually ok!. In the national park there wasnt much to see a few monestries carved into rocks and a massive Fortress (yes up more steps). It is a Bulgarian fortress that was built on roman ruins and you can see the reamins of both.

We then headed down to Veliko Turnovo and actually found a campsite. Unfortunetly the weather turned bad again. We did go into town bowling - Scott fell over on his first attempt then thrashed me. This morning I went horse riding on a safe horse that decided to have a fit and blister my hands :-(. Scott was going to go rock climbing but it is too wet.
Although we are looking at property here as it is so cheap! £10K will get you a 2/3 bed house with land!.
We are going to head south now and into Turkey. Dad is visiting Cyprus in a week or two so might try and catch up with him on the coast there.

Hope you are all well. Keep in touch

Me and him
xx

And best of all just discovered that I (Scott) doesnt need a Visa for Georgia or Armenia so we just chalk those up for a visit

Tummy update still poorly (not enough fruit or fibre)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb