On the Midnight Train To Brasov


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Maramures
August 3rd 2014
Published: August 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

So Sighetu Maramatiei to Brasov was our first proper journey by train. First, it was thanks to Florin that we got sleeper tickets at all - he got some cancellations for us.



Sleeper tickets mean you are in the Sleeper carriage and that was it. Well first you had to get in which for Jane was quite a challenge with three big steps from ground level and a pack on her back.



We got in and discovered our allotted cabin with three beds - the top one being taken by a local and his young son. There were only the beds to sit on so there was a general congregation in the corridor. We quickly met Bram (yes as in Stoker) from Belgium and his Romanian wife, Maria, who had been back for their annual trip staying with her family. He was surprised to see English travellers (to be fair we had not seen any since Budapest) and was glad to chat. Their story matched those we had met on the bus to Maramures. Maria was happy to be able to work in Western Europe and torn between that and the strong family ties back
Reflecting at Brasov station at 5.30amReflecting at Brasov station at 5.30amReflecting at Brasov station at 5.30am

To date it is one all at iPad backgammon!
in the Maramures.



We had bought supper which was lucky as there were no supplies on the train.



The first part of the journey was along the Tisa river next to the Ukraine. At Valea Viseului the train reversed and headed up the Viseu valley. Maria could explain where we were and lamented when we crawled out of the last town in the Maramures, Viseu de Sus. After Salva it was time for bed.



The trains in Romania are very comfortable. They are generally on time and are not fast. Passing cars overtake you. They are not smooth and often stop so in that aspect more cattle wagon than bullet train. Jane slept like a log! In the middle bunk I was first boiling, then cold as the rain started and then could not sleep from the din through the window. I had better improve if we are going to this in India.



We arrived in Brasov, Romania's second city, at 5.30am. We bought a chocolate and played backgammon to pass the time until the first bus left at 6.30am to take us to the hostel.



It was very welcoming that Flavia was there to meet us by the Gabriel hostel as we got off the bus. She offered us the choice of two double rooms. We went with the room with the slightly larger bed and decided to risk working the scary looking cooker. In fact it is an annex sub-let from the neighbour. Really quiet sufficient especially at £18/night. A welcome sight after a long journey.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb