Leaving Oncesti


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Maramures » Barsana
July 8th 2014
Published: July 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We have spend four days in this lovely area. Today is the last day. At our pension at Oncesti some funny things happen at breakfast. We have a plate made ready with some type of pancake egg, tomatoes, capsicum and very fresh sort of bocconchini. soft cheese. But the Hostess changed things over a few days. The last morning we even had yoghurt. The Hospitality was out of this world. The Host is a Biology professor but is on holidays. He offered to be our guide and took us to some villages, where church services were conducted around some old wooden churches. The ceremonies were held outside in the garden amongst the cemeteries. Women separate from the men and in traditional clothing. He took inside the churches some dating back to the 16th century. Inside one were icons painted on the wall, depicting Heaven and Hell. One Maria portrait was from the 16th century. People were happy to pose and the little girls look like dolls. We also saw an amazing system to wash carpets. Using fresh river water. We made photos and video and hope that will show it. The five night stay at the farm was the price of a one night Australian Hotel stay. Although basic it was priceless as far as experience was concerned. Women and Men also older ones with hay forks and slashers on their back going into the fields to do their daily work. On the day we left our Host had to kill and prepare a lamb. As a last present I got stang by a wasp four times the seize as ours. Not being allergic to bee stings going to there was no need to go to hospital. We will be going to Sighisoara. About 280 K.M away. Because of villages it will be slow going trip ,30-50 k.m. per hour trip most of the way. What an amazing job the early home and church builders did, building these timber structures lasting over 600 years.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb