Portugal El Camino - 2016


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
August 31st 2016
Published: August 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 - August 27, 2016 – Azambuja, Portugal to Santarem, Portugal – 23.23 Miles

The day started out warm and got a whole lot warmer – 97 degrees.



On our way to the railway station we were lucky to see a stork sitting in its nest. Upon reaching the railway station we once again had to cross over the train tracks to join the trail that followed along a tree-lined path to a bridge.



After crossing over the bridge, we made a turn onto a farm road that took us through fields of tomatoes and corn. Of course there was no way we could walk by all these tomatoes and not pick one or maybe two which we did and ate immediately. Boy were they delicious.



Continuing on the road we eventually passed by a silage pit and then back to an asphalt road that again had us walking by fields of tomatoes, grape vines and blackberries. We were fortunate to get to see tomatoes being harvested which was quite interesting. A little further down the road we turned around and who to our wondering eyes did we see – none other than our Japanese friend, Ayako walking up behind us. She joined us as we continued walking to the town of Valada where she left us as she was staying there for the night.



It’s not long before we reach sandy tracks that go for at least 9 km through the rich agricultural area of Leziria that has a variety of crops that includes tomatoes, peppers and melons. As we get part way through this area, we are met by Miguel who is associated with the hostel in Santarem who gives us additional water since it is so hot.



Finally, we get our first view of Santarem. We leave the sandy tracks and join an asphalt road that takes us under the overpass for the highway for the final climb into the city of Santarem. As we are going up the hill to Santarem we pass by two young men with their horse and cart getting water. We finally make it to the center of town and then it’s a downhill walk to our hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb