Monday 13th December to Sunday 19th December 2010


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
December 17th 2010
Published: December 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


13.12.10 Quarteria-Algarve coast13.12.10 Quarteria-Algarve coast13.12.10 Quarteria-Algarve coast

The sunset while having a drink in the bar
Monday 13th December to Sunday 19th December 2010.

Monday 13th December 2010
Ferraguda (near Portimao)
Packed up and said goodbye to Mary – she is a 78 year old lady, widowed for 5 years and had spent her married life caravanning with her husband and kids, and then into motorhome after kids left home. She commented that after her husband , Alf, died, it was only 5 months looking at the walls at home, when she decided that was enough at home, and off she went travelling again. She had a really nice van for one person. She told us of lots of places to visit, knows heaps about Morocco as she loves it there – and she does not need a map –could rattle it all off. She also rattled off Spain and Portugal, knowing all the road numbers to take and where to stop at which caravan park. She was an inspiration with such enthusiasm for life.
Then said goodbye to Jack and his wife. They and Mary and others all spend winter (5 months) in same spot each year. Their homes in England are under snow at present and its minus deegres.
So off we drive along
13.12.10 Quarteria-Algarve coast13.12.10 Quarteria-Algarve coast13.12.10 Quarteria-Algarve coast

Tom sitting in the bar having a drink watching the sunset
the coast and came to a small sandy beach – say 100 metres wide – too small to stop, but quite a few boats. Gaye commented that they take advantage of every inch and use it.
So on we go to Vilamoura – a huge golf course resort after huge golf course resort and many more – makes Magenta look small. It’s like a huge city. Looked small on the map.
Then onto to Quarteria. We are in a dirt carpark, next to the beach, with about 60 other motorhomes. There are hundreds of English people, and many more from up north, down here in their motorhomes travelling to get away from the shit weather.
The authorities don't hassle anyone as it being winter, the coast here is very quiet compared to the summertime, so any type of tourist spending money is more than welcome.
The amount of holiday resorts here make the Gold Coast look like a backwater hick town.
Set up the van, went for a walk along the beach, stopped for a beer and a coffee, watched the sunset, took some photos.
Back home and Tom did his thing – making a great soup for dinner.
14.12.10 Vilamoura Marina - Cruise14.12.10 Vilamoura Marina - Cruise14.12.10 Vilamoura Marina - Cruise

Us on board the catamaran ready to do the sea caves cruise from Quarteria

Tuesday 14th December 2010.
Up and we went for a bicycle ride – about 2 hours around the marina, beach boardwalk – very nice – then found a 3 hour cruise was on in the afternoon €15 each – so we booked. Lucky because we made up the numbers, enough for the catamaran to do the trip.
So back home to get organized.
We headed off back to the Marina. Had a nice lunch and then did the cruise to look at caves and the sea cliffs etc. We saw Cliff Richards house – he has lived there for 15 years.
It was a great trip. We met a man named Wally from the UK on the boat, so walked home via his hotel to see more of the town. All in all a great day – long and sunny and busy.

Wednesday 15th December 2010
When we were in Sagres, there was a brochure on some concerts being performed in various venues along the Algarve coast for the next 2 weeks and one was on at Faro. So we thought we would see it if we were at Faro that day. So on the road again to Faro
14.12.10 Vilamoura Marina14.12.10 Vilamoura Marina14.12.10 Vilamoura Marina

Heading out on the catamaran from the Marina
to look for University – found it – wrong one – back on the road to the right one – all good.
That night into the University for the concert. First a gentleman asks Tom something, but Tom told him he spoke only English, so he spoke to Tom in English – he and his wife were from Brazil, and their son was the conductor for this evening’s performance.
Next an Indian guy, PhD in neurology, doing years of research, asks if we could give him a lift into town after the show, as the buses stop running at 10pm. The show didn’t start until nearly 10pm. Tom told him we only speak English, and then he talked to us in English, chatting with him until the doors opened for the show.
Finished at 11.30pm – so off to the motorhome to sleep on the side of the road next to the carpark of the University.

Thursday 16th December 2010
Into campsite at Monte Gordo – cold winds from the north have hit yesterday and continued today. We went for a bike ride into town.

Friday 17th December 2010
Pack up and drive to motorhome dealer, just out
14.12.10 Sea Cruise14.12.10 Sea Cruise14.12.10 Sea Cruise

Sea cliffs with steps from top to bottom to access the beach
of Seville – then the fun began. No-one there as it was closed for lunch until 4pm, so security guard lets us in and we have our lunch as it was 2.15pm and wait.
No-one spoke English. Asked 2 guys and we thought they said they would get help, and we waited but they never came back for a long time and when they did come back, they ignored us. We have found this happens quite often – if you can’t speak the language – then stiff shit.
Another receptionist came on duty and she conveyed to us that someone who speaks English starts at 5pm.
So, at 5pm, a salesman starts his shift and he can speak a little English and he helps us. We can’t get motorhome serviced until 25th January, so that won’t work for us, but we buy a leisure battery from them and Tom installs it ,so it ends up being 6.30pm by the time that is all done – so we stay the night in the car park – they have facilities for customers i.e. electricity, water, no toilets, but we have cover under a carport.

Saturday 18th December 2010
We head out for a campsite near railway station that the salesman told us about – you can’t miss it, he says. He didn’t know the address. We searched, asked people who were around the area, and they didn’t know of one. So we searched the TomTom and it found one in its system, but when we got there it was an empty paddock. Argghhh. Put another search into the TomTom and when we got to the 2nd one, it was also a paddock. New TomTom - supposed to be up to date with maps !!!!! So Gaye logged onto computer and found one on the net, went there and set up van.
Onto local bus into Seville town. We went to The House of Pilatos (Pilates) – very interesting as it is a Moorish style building. It’s a mixture of Mudejar, the Renaissance, the baroque and the Flamboyant Gothic , built in the early 1500’s.
Then did a late tourist bus tour around the city for 1 hour, and then onto our local bus back to the campsite about 9pm.

Sunday 19th December 2010
Into Seville town on the 8.30am bus. A full day of walking ahead of us.
First we
14.12.10 Portugal Algarve Coast14.12.10 Portugal Algarve Coast14.12.10 Portugal Algarve Coast

Sea cruise - This is a lift built on side of cliff to get from road down to beach
walked around the gardens of Maria Luisa Park. This park was donated by Princess Dona Luisa in 1893 and later converted into the site for the 1929 world fair, with construction of various pavilions (some which now house museums), squares, and fountains.
Alongside of the Park we came across the Plaza of Spain. Huge. Very impressive.
Then we walked along the river to where we had hoped to hear Xmas carols in the theatre, but the tickets were all sold out in advance. So we went across the road and had coffee and bread with oil and prosciutto – nice and very local.
Down the road was The Real Maestranza Bullring built in 18th century. We did a tour of the bullring, museum and picture gallery. Tom asked what happens when the bull wins – the lady guide said very seriously ‘it is not a contest – the bull is always killed’. They had a head of a cow hung up on the wall that had produced killer bulls, so they had her killed to stop her producing any more. When bull fighting first began, the horses didn’t have any padded protection and at least 14 horses every bullfight got
14.12.10 Sea Cruise14.12.10 Sea Cruise14.12.10 Sea Cruise

This is the lift on the left of picture and the steps going down on the right
killed. The dead horses were given to the poor people – we think for food. Hard for us to understand how they can be so proud of this history – with men that spear the bull first, wear it down for the matador to later kill.
So after this we wandered along the river, until 1.30pm and then went on a walking tour of a small area of Seville. The guide spoke very good English – University trained. It was interesting but not that informative as he was not a historian.
We then went to the Cathedral of Giralda – 3rd largest in the world and climbed the tower. Great view of the city from up the top. The layout of the cathedral was very similar to that of the one in Toledo.
Off then to the Reales Alcazares but it had just closed as it was just gone 5pm, so we will do it tomorrow.
So into the Santa Cruz district. It’s a labyrinth of winding narrow streets, tiny squares and secret nooks, quaint. We wandered around and came across a group of street performers – the locals with their musical instruments – very good so Tom took a
19.12.10 Seville - Maestranza Bullring19.12.10 Seville - Maestranza Bullring19.12.10 Seville - Maestranza Bullring

The entry to the stands from the street
video.
Off then to have dinner. We were the only ones in the restaurant as the Spanish go to restaurants about 9pm onwards. We were exhausted, so back to bus and back home.






Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

19.12.10 Seville - Maestranza Bullring19.12.10 Seville - Maestranza Bullring
19.12.10 Seville - Maestranza Bullring

The gate where the bulls come out into the ring.
19.12.10 Seville - Plaza of Spain19.12.10 Seville - Plaza of Spain
19.12.10 Seville - Plaza of Spain

a 200 metre semicircle with 2 high towers at either end. An artificial canal flows in the interior with little bridges across it. On the benches lined around the semicircle are all the Spanish provinces represented in alphabetical order.
19.12.10 Seville - Plaza of Spain19.12.10 Seville - Plaza of Spain
19.12.10 Seville - Plaza of Spain

Gaye talking to one of the horses - there are lots of horse and carriages to take you around the city.
19.12.10 - Seville - Giralda Tower19.12.10 - Seville - Giralda Tower
19.12.10 - Seville - Giralda Tower

View of the Giralda Tower - we climbed to the top, 70 metres - with a total height of 100 metres by ramp - no stairs. The Cathedral is attached to this and you have to go into the Cathedral to get into the Tower.


21st December 2010

Ooty Resorts, ooty homestay, Coonoor resorts, Coonoor homestay.
Good post .. I like this very much, very useful for tourism.. if you have a little time, you can visit my website.. Welcome to stay in Ooty Resort at the Great grandfather’s Ooty home stay nestled in the Niligiri Hill Coonoor Resort in of south India.Read More.. Ooty Resort thanks for sharing ..

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb