10 Top Tips on Visiting Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
May 4th 2009
Published: May 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

10 Top Tips on Visiting Portugal







The secret of a memorable trip to Portugal remains on trying to escape the crowds and look for the out-of-the-way places. Many tourists still see Portugal as synonymous with Lisbon and the Algarve. However, there is so much more to see that you will lose half of the country’s enchantment and mystery if you stick to the busy places.



Here are 10 top tips on how to make the most out of your trip to Portugal:


1. Rent a car and drive around the country. It is possible to travel the entire length of the country by motorway (“A” roads), which is a great advantage for drivers. Motorways are not free and you will have to pay a toll. Also, be careful not to get onto the “Via Verde” lane as you join the motorway as these are only for “subscribed” drivers. The advantage is that you will be able to discover the country at your own pace and get away from the crowds.


2. Avoid weekends and public holidays when visiting major touristic sites, such as Sintra, Óbidos and others. These will likely be packed with people and you will have little chance of getting to know the “real” place. Remember that many Portuguese people take advantage of weekends and holidays to visit the country themselves.


3. While in Portugal, avoid all companies that advertise sightseeing tours at bargain or extremely attractive prices. You will likely spend a whole day stuck in a coach, stopping for 5 minutes for a quick photo, and travelling miles and miles. Many of these companies will try to impress you by the quantity of places you visit on a single day. The typical Lisbon - Óbidos - Alcobaça - Batalha - Nazaré - Leiria - Lisbon tour is simply too much and will wear you out! In addition, there is often no precise information about the size of the bus/ number of seats/number of languages spoken on tour! Get advice from Tourist Offices or other reliable sources.


4. Keep away from the déjà vu, clichéd sights. Although some of more historic, famous sights are unavoidable, you can find out hidden treasures. Some hints on places to discover:




· Historical Villages of Portugal - They are villages built in stone (essentially granite and sometimes schist), usually located on high mountain tops where the Portuguese could defend themselves against the Moors, the Spanish and even the French invaders. They are found in the Serra da Estrela area and near the border with Spain. Many stand inside castle walls and preserve traces of medieval times. They are villages where time has stopped, places that take us back to a far distant past: Piódão, Belmonte, Castelo Novo, Idanha-a-Velha, Monsanto, Almeida, Castelo Mendo, Castelo Rodrigo, Linhares da Beira, Marialva, Sortelha and Trancoso.






· Portuguese Nature Parks - Though not very well-known, these Parks are protected areas where the human presence is not very common and you can appreciate Nature’s appeal in all its magnitude. Go to Parque Natural da Arrábida (40 km from Lisbon) for walks or jeep tours ; Go to Parque Nacional da Peneda-Gerês (in the North) where you will find a wild and impressive landscape; Go to Reserva Natural do Estuário do Sado (near Setúbal) if you are particularly keen on dolphin or bird watching; Go to Parque Natural do Sudoeste Alentejano e Costa Vicentina, a region graced with a wild beauty that is extremely popular for water sports, particularly surfing and body boarding.



5. Take the opportunity to have an unforgettable experience. Take part in the harvest at the Alto Douro Wine Region in September at one of the many wine estates or have a cooking experience in the Alentejo region, where you will sample your own recipes. These are simply two of the things you can try out whilst in Portugal.



6. Hire a bike and discover the country while you keep fit: Cycle along Aveiro’s streets with a BUGA, a bicycle that can be hired for 1€ ; Ride a bike on the Guincho bicycle lane, a 5km lane that extends from the Casa da Guia, in Cascais town, to Guincho beach; Ramal de Mora lane in Évora, Alentejo, is a 20 km track available for walkers or cyclists, starting from Chafariz d’El Rei in Évora. Well, you will need to go to Portugal in order to discover all the cycle lanes available to sports lovers.



7. Go for a coffee in one of the historic, charming cafés of Portugal:
· A Brasileira, in Braga.
· Café Majestic in Porto, boasting an Art Nouveau façade, a luxurious tea room and huge Art Nouveau mirrors.
· Café Santa Cruz in Coimbra, a beautiful building with domed ceiling and stained glass windows.
· The renowned cafés of Lisbon: Café Nicola, in Rossio, with its Art Nouveau façade; Café Benárd, with a more classical decoration, and homemade confectionary specialities; A Brasileira , where you may sit next to the great poet Fernando Pessoa, sculpted in bronze as a mundane man having a little cup of coffee.




8. Look for a terrace that will literally take your breath away: The Casal de Loivos terrace, in the Alto Douro Wine Region. When you reach Casal de Loivos terrace (“miradouro,” in Portuguese) sit down and relax. Breathe in the silence and enjoy the peacefulness of the place. Watch the river flowing slowly past down below. An absolutely magnificent spot.






9. Visit Lisbon in May, when the city is covered with violet… The Jacaranda tree, an ornamental tree of Middle Eastern origin, blooms in an abundant, gorgeous manner all over Lisbon , painting it with a myriad of little violet flowers. This magnificent spectacle lasts for two to three weeks.

10. Visit the Alentejo region during spring time. The fields will be thickly covered with lovely, brilliantly-colored flowers and the plains, dotted with cork oak and olive trees, will create a wonderful opportunity to unwind and relax.

Text by Gabriela Gomes. gabriela.gomes@portugaltrails.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb