Mom Day #2 - Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ancora


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
September 23rd 2019
Published: September 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We had a late start because we packed up our backpacks, left them at the hotel desk, put on our flip-flops and took the telepherique up the mountain to the spectacular Igregia de Santa Luiz. High above Viana do Castelo, there are views for miles up and down the coast. And the church, built in the 1900’s has kaleidoscopic modern rose windows. Well worth the detour.

Once we’d picked up our bags, we headed up - - no chance to get adjusted, just heading uphill. Our course today took us through hillside towns, not unlike yesterday and through interesting woods. There was one big climb and as we were coming down the hill we passed an old, deserted mill where Francesca, a 20ish Sardinian girl, was finishing her lunch. She popped up and asked if she could join us.

As with Ekaterina the day before, Francesca had all the enthusiasm of someone in that wonderful, early part of life. She was excited to be on the Camino and was very focused on how she could get other family members out on the Camino. Did we, for instance, think her grandmas who walked every day in Sardinia, would come on the Camino? Ask them, we encouraged her. You never know.

As we walked through the hillside villages, she told us about Sardinia and her family and asked lots of questions about hiking the Camino Frances. She wanted to hike that with her dad. We had fun chit-chatting, admiring the affluent houses, guessing what was behind high walls and talking about our Camino experiences.

When we reached the village of Carreço, we stopped for lunch. Katherine and I needed to take our shoes off for awhile and take a rest. Francesca had a quick sandwich, then threw her sneakers over the eucalyptus branch she was using as a hiking pole and continued on in her flip flops.

We had one more climb before coming down into Ancora where we stayed at the wonderful (very quiet) Hotel Meira. Slept like a log.

Data: 14.5 miles, 41 floors










Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.593s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb