Day 2 Porto - Follow That Winding Alley


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
September 19th 2019
Published: September 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

After our late night I slept 9 hours and got up refreshed and ready for adventure.

One of the question marks when traveling with someone new, is “How will our travel styles mesh?” Today I discovered both Katherine and I share one important common trait: if there’s an interesting looking street, we both want to see where it leads.

This morning we took the Metro over the Douro River to Vila de Gaia, home of the Port caves. The short Metro ride is an event in itself because it crosses the Douro on the upper level of Ponte Luiz 1, the two-level bridge connecting to the upper and lower levels of (very steep) Porto. At 135 feet above the river, the Metro moves slowly and provides spectacular views out towards the sea and up the Douro Valley. When we reached the other side, we took some pics of the amazing view, then took a Gondola down to the riverside.

We spent several hours wandering through Vila de Gaia’s charming, twisting cobblestoned streets. The day was foggy and overcast, which gave it a yummy atmospheric feel. Included in our wandering: the municipal market where we had delicious salmon on crime cheese on fresh bread; the craft market along the river, and a glass of 20 year old Port at Sandeman’s, looking across the river to Porto, which tumbles down from the heights to the river, in row upon row of ancient brightly colored, tall and narrow houses.

One of the things that makes Porto so interesting is the range of conveyances that move people up, down and around its hilly geography.

The afternoon ended with a walk back across the lower level of the bridge to the funicular that runs up the steep hillside. Yet one more interesting way to traverse Porto.

Tomorrow we put on our packs, put one foot in front is the other and begin our Camino!

Data: 7 miles, 16 floors


.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th September 2019

Safe travels!
Hi Pat - glad you arrived safely & got to enjoy some time in Porto. Wishing you happy hiking and safe travels! I look forward to following along on your amazing adventure!
20th September 2019

Thanks Diane - it’s nice to know you’re following our adventures?

Tot: 0.349s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb