Not with hope


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
March 18th 2011
Published: March 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well, well, here we are again.
It’s been 4 days since our last blog, mostly because of one event that occurred last Thursday the 17th. But let us start at the beginning. As you know we have been in Porto enjoying this great city. We bought a 48hr tour pass on a double decker bus, a hop-on-hop off and visit what you want variety . There are three different routes. There is a Bridge tour, Castles tour and the Historical tour. For example In 1387, a marriage took place between João I and Philippa of Lancaster. They got married in the newly established city of Porto and this confirmed the military alliance between Portugal and England. After this union, the city began to thrive. And to a great extent,this is how the Henry the Navigator, third son of the king, was able to raise funds for the discoveries of Africa and the route to India. Another gem is the Iberian Peninsula War. This war was brought on by Napoleon when French armies crossed into Spain and invaded Portugal. It was all about continental blockade against England and stopping any commercial enterprises. Porto was the only land Napoleon didn't own and it was where the British Army under Wellsley was located. I don’t want to bore you... but just one more.
A Place we came to know intimately is called São João da Foz do Douro Fort. This fortress, also known as Foz Castle (Castelo da Foz), located in Porto, was built in the 16th century and enlarged in the 17th century to protect Douro port. It´s a beautiful example of military architecture. Sounds nice right? We thought so to. We got off the tourist bus and make our way to this great historical fort. There was no charge to get in . There was no one around.... except for a moped outside. We had a really great time exploring this place as you will see in many of the pictures.
When we felt we had seen every thing we made our way to the only door in and out of the Fort to find IT WAS CLOSED! Yes, IT WAS CLOSED. We did not panic... well, Kevin did. He tried to break down the door (a steel one )and/ or find a way over the walls.He eventually gave up, with the realization that he was in a mlitary fort. You can’t get in and you can’t get out unless you have a key. I put my Portugese skills to the test and started yelling for help. Fortunately for us, there was a tennis club next door that eventually saw us and called the police.But tracking down the guy with the key was another matter. We were in there for 4 1/2hrs... and it was getting very cold.
During that time we prayed a lot and sang a kingdom song and danced in front of the security camera ( I think we gave them a good show). When the guy finally did show with the police right behind him we where very grateful. But this is what he told me”Oh it’s not the first time this has happened. In fact, once it was at 1am. Can you believe him? So remember, make sure the place has a sign designating hours of operation, or you may find you self trapped!
The best part was our ride home in the police car. All four of us piled in to the back, kids on our laps. No seat belts here. And just like home, they drive fast and without rules. Now try to imagine the look on peoples faces as we piled out of the back of the police car at 11:30 at night . They say" tipica", yes only in Portugal can this happen.
So in order to see the rest of the tours we stayed in Porto an extra day and on Friday went on a Port wine tour ,also the Bridge Tour. All of it was great.But the best part was Friday evening. We decided to go to the trainstation so we could be familiar with it. As we were looking at the storage lockers. Carolina started pulling at me and pointing. I ignored her at first, but she was very insistent. I turned to look at a group of four, one of them a beautiful black woman with her wallet open and ,plain as day, her most important piece.....her medical intervention card. I went up to them and I pointed at the card. In English, she says "Are you one of Jehovahs Witnesses. Well, it was like a mini International Convention. One couple was from Aveiro in Portugal ,the other was from Amsterdam. They where there in Porto for the day and we all said this was the best day ever.




Additional photos below
Photos: 93, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

119119
119

you see tile every were, but especily on chirches with biblical seens
133133
133

infumas dictator Salazar
135135
135

The bird Lady
030030
030

The royal MacDonals
031031
031

Now this is what I call MacDonals coffe
032032
032

Pancakes never go out of style
035035
035

A kevins first
048048
048

600 hunred years old and still standing


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb