Camino de Santiago de Compostela - (Day 1-2) Portuguese Trail (Elvas to Ponte de Lima)


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
August 1st 2004
Published: April 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Camino de Santiago de Compostela - Portuguese Trail with Badajoz walking group. Total of 151km
On my first trip away from home I decided to head for Spain, being my birth country and understanding the language. It gave me the opportunity to go on the Camino Portuges to Santiago de Compostela with the a Spanish walking club. This trip gave me the sensation that I must come and walk it again. A number or people on the trail stated this same feeling and a few were on their 2nd, 3rd and 5th trip to Santiago.
So here is my journal notes, follow it along with me and see how you feel afterwards.
Using capital letters for peoples names.

Day 1.
Travelled by bus from Navalmoral de la Mata to Badajoz. Slept at Az’s friend Victor's house, he is a teacher. We had al fresco tapas later that night.

Day 2
Met Jq (Badajoz walking club president) at Lisboa hotel at 0700, then walked to nearest café and had breakfast (I had milk coffee & toast with olive oil, Az had pork fat & liver on her toast!!!!!). Shortly after we were picked up by Ls in a wagon, he
P1030317 - along portugal road to Ponte de LimaP1030317 - along portugal road to Ponte de LimaP1030317 - along portugal road to Ponte de Lima

Lovely colourful typical Portugues houses.
took us to Bus station on Portuguese border town of Elvas. Elvas Bus station area had lovely Romanic buildings with a castle type ruins and surrounding walls.
Left about 0830 by ‘express’ bus, passing through Lisboa (beautiful bridge), Braga and arriving about 2030 at Ponte de Lima. We changed buses 3 times.

During the trip we (Badajodians) sang songs, were loud and happy, some slept and we did get some special looks from the other passenger.
On arrival to Ponte de Lima, we walked to the police station and received out official commencing ID stamp on our ‘credential’ walking card.

We took a walk to the town centre, by Lima River and Romanic bridge (photo). We had something to eat; I had a hot veg soup and afterwards hot milk and felt wonderful.
We took photos of the sun setting and on this night there was a town festival with many stalls, dancing and singing…………..So we joined in and enjoyed the hospitality.
This first night we slept in a sports hall on mattresses and was quite comfy, we had access to hot showers and toilets.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

P1030318- Lisboa Bridge in PortugalP1030318- Lisboa Bridge in Portugal
P1030318- Lisboa Bridge in Portugal

Took this photo through the bus windon while traveling.
P1030337-Ponte de Lima - ancient Roman BridgeP1030337-Ponte de Lima - ancient Roman Bridge
P1030337-Ponte de Lima - ancient Roman Bridge

This bridge consists of Roman and medieval construction going back to the 1st Century, since The Way opened by the Emperor Augustus passed over it. It has some gothic characteristics and was probably completedabout 1370.
P1030335 - The girls upon Pont de Lima BridgeP1030335 - The girls upon Pont de Lima Bridge
P1030335 - The girls upon Pont de Lima Bridge

The simple Roman bridge has a sloping deck over 7 full centrer ogival arches, are irregularly arranged and have different spans. One arch was destroyed at the time Napoleon's invasion in 1809.
P1030331 - Armorial CrossP1030331 - Armorial Cross
P1030331 - Armorial Cross

The simple Roman bridge has at its centre an armorial cross that divides the dioceses of Braga and Tui.
P1030336 - Finding of the 1st Yellow ArrowP1030336 - Finding of the 1st Yellow Arrow
P1030336 - Finding of the 1st Yellow Arrow

Finally just before dusk, the first yellow arrow is spotted to find our start point for the morning. It was a good thing too, as the next morning was so misty and visibility was very poor.


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb