A shaky start to the Holiday


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira
April 20th 2018
Published: April 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Friday 20th
Jet2 airline now fly to Funchal, Madeira from our local airport at Stansted which meant we only had a 15 minute journey to the airport this morning.

We arrived very early for our 11am departure and surprised at so few people there were at check-in and security but we're not complaining, it gave us plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely breakfast.

Take off on schedule, a comfortable & pleasant flight until we were making our descent into Funchal airport. The Captain announced that due to high winds the landing had been aborted ! A loud sigh could be heard from the passengers as the captain continued to report that he would circle and try once more to land the plane but if this failed he would have to divert to the Canary Islands!

We were all on tender hooks with the aircraft swaying somewhat as the runway came into sight, but 3 cheers for our Captain we made a successful, all be it bumpy landing, at which point a huge cheer & applause could be heard throughout the plane.

We've had some bumpy landings in our time but this one had to be the most memorable.As we disembarked the Captain was by the exit door receiving congratulations & hand shakes from all the very thankful passengers.

We arrived at our hotel and as returning guests were given a special 'welcome back' from the reception staff which was a nice gesture. Our pre-ordered seat tickets for the Flower Festival Parade which will be on Sunday afternoon we're all ready but there is still have another day to wait but it will be worth it !!

The hotel lobby & bar were decorated with beautiful flowers and wow the size of the proteas, just magnificent. We are definitely in for a floral treat during our stay.

The sun was shining so unpacking could wait, we sat and enjoyed a complimentary drink on the verandah. It's been an eventful day but now it is time to sit back, relax and enjoy all that this beautiful city has to offer.More to follow and hopefully you won't get bored of flowers photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



21st April 2018

Lucky you !
The festival sounds marvellous and the hotel displays are great. We are at the Terra Nostra, Azores, also Portuguese ! Here because of botanical garden it is set in , complete with geothermal lake and jacuzzis. Yes they really are hot ! Looking forward to even more flowers . Where are you staying? Ruthxx
21st April 2018

Hi from Funchal
Hi, your hotel sounds idyllic. We are staying at PORTO SANTA MARIA.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb