Botanical Gardens Madeira


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Madeira
May 2nd 2023
Published: May 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

2nd May



We get some beautiful skies in the morning and today was a very pretty pink one. Another hot & sunny day ahead.



Benita and I set off early to visit the Botanical Gardens.



Located at about three miles above the town center of Funchal, this park was inaugurated in 1960 on the grounds of Quinta do Bom Sucesso, previously owned by the Reid´s family.

The “Jardim Botânico” houses a varied collection of botanical species from all over the world, some of which are endangered.



We arrived just as a large group were entering the gardens but we managed to bypass them and the gardens soon felt as if we were the only ones there. Only two very small ships in port today so it continued to be very quiet our entire visit.



The views from the gardens are quite spectacular and we took advantage of the various viewpoints to take a rest in the heat. We followed the cobbled pathways & steps and often got caught in the line of fire from the water being sprayed onto the plants but it was refreshing
and cooled us down.



The garden’s most famous feature is it's carpet bedding or choreographed garden. An amazing display of multicoloured plants arranged into diamonds, squares, lines and lettering.



On the way back to the hotel we stopped for a cold drink at the Terrace (close to the cable car & our hotel) we also booked a table for dinner there tomorrow evening.



Another lovely day here in Madeira.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement












Tot: 0.63s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.147s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb