Another lovely day in Floral Funchal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Funchal
April 27th 2018
Published: April 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The sun is shining - The flowers continue to give Joy!

Yesterday there were 3 cruise ships in Port so it was a good time to avoid the crowds and chill out & relax around the hotel.

We enjoyed a leisurely stroll early evening to the centre of Funchal, passing by a flower arranging competition test was taking place as part of the festival of flowers programme. Only 5 exhibitors but it was enjoyable to watch them work.

A typical dish here in Madeira is Scabbard Fish with banana, so we both enjoyed this local delicacy sitting outside the restaurant watching the world go by.

Most restaurants have floral displays outside to welcome diners, how's was rather strange with pincushion proteas and lobster shells!

There is such a lot in the way of flowers to see here, so each day I take a stroll and see what I can find. We have visited many different parts all over Madeira on previous visits but for this trip we are focusing on the Funchal Flower Festival.

The little park opposite the theatre had small craft stalls today, so each day there seems something different to see. The main street Avenida Arriaga is looking very colourful with flower & drinks stalls decorated with large butterflies.

The floral carpets, I have to say were a little disappointing! Maybe we have been spoilt by the magnificent display at the tropical gardens on a previous visit.

I managed to pop into the cathedral just ahead of two large groups, but was surprised not to see more flowers. It is a beautiful cathedral though with or without flowers.

Many of the shops have floral inspired window displays but not easy to take photographs due to the reflections.

Making my way back I came across a delightful cafe offering an amazing range of teas from around the world. Potted up cups & saucers or small teapot were on the tables making it look very inviting. Sitting under one of their parasols it was nice to relax and enjoy the ambience of the surroundings.

By now the midday sun was beating down, the flower sellers were outside the flower market but that's a visit for another day, so taking the shady route down the street with many painted doors I was soon back at the hotel.

Another colourful morning which I hope you have enjoyed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb