Around Lisbon


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
July 16th 2013
Published: July 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

VeronicaVeronicaVeronica

In Lisbon, in a chapel in Sao Roque Church. I like it because it perfectly explains what "Veronica" means, the "true image." She gave Christ a cloth to daub his face when he fell while carrying the Cross. So she holds a "true image" of Christ... or is Veronica.
Today I focused on the sights just down the Tagus River from Lisbon, in an area called Belem. This is the true heart of old Lisbon, back in the early 1500s when Portugal discovered the sea route to India, and the country became incredibly rich. Massive buildings projects appeared, including the famous Jeronimos Monastery. This place stretches for an entire block, and contains incredible cloisters done in what is called the Manueline style, after the Portuguese king at the time of all the sea voyages. It's basically just defined by really ornate decorations, and a lot of symbols relating to the sea, like ships and ropes and such. The Monastery also contains the tomb of Vasco da Gama, the man who discovered the route to India in 1498. Also in the area is the Belem Tower, the last sight sailors saw on the journey out to the ocean, and the massive Monument to the Discoveries, a more recent addition.

Largely spent the rest of the day walking around, first leaving Belem and going to the Museum of Ancient Art. I'm not really sure where the ancient art is in the museum, since I think the earliest dates from something like
Ceiling at Sao RoqueCeiling at Sao RoqueCeiling at Sao Roque

Also interesting because it's actually completely flat. It was painted to look like there's a dome. Called trompe l'oeil.
the 1500s, but it does contain a nice selection of paintings, including the famous Temptation of St. Anthony by Hieronymus Bosch. This is a three-panel work and basically is an image of hell, with wild, unexplainable things happening, and weird combinations of people and animals. A lot of detail, and could spend a long time looking at. Also wandered around the Alfama area of town, which basically is an old section filled with winding lanes. I honestly wasn't that impressed. It really wasn't all that quaint, and to me more just seemed like a somewhat run-down part of town that for some reason smelled strongly of fish. But maybe I was just tired by this point in the day, and didn't the Alfama enough of a chance.

Tomorrow I leave Lisbon on the bus, heading North, towards Spain, stopping in Fatima and Coimbra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Door at Jeronimos Door at Jeronimos
Door at Jeronimos

Really shows the overly decorated Manueline style. Almost too much.
Impressive Tile At JeronimosImpressive Tile At Jeronimos
Impressive Tile At Jeronimos

In the monks dining hall. These were monks dedicated to St. Jerome, or Jeronimos, and were called Hieronymites.
The CloisterThe Cloister
The Cloister

Where the monks walked around and meditated. The most famous part of Jeronimos. The carving on the wall shows Christ's flagellation.
Cloister at JeronimosCloister at Jeronimos
Cloister at Jeronimos

Overly intricate decorations in Manueline style. This is usually where heads of state are taken when they visit.
Inside Church at JeronimosInside Church at Jeronimos
Inside Church at Jeronimos

Very famous for its slender columns, like palm trees, a nice symbol for the new lands that made this very church possible. Only see this here.
Tomb of Vasco da Gama Tomb of Vasco da Gama
Tomb of Vasco da Gama

Discovered the sea route to India and brought huge wealth to Portugal. His tomb is carved with ships and ropes and globes, fitting images for an adventurer.
Outside View of JeronimosOutside View of Jeronimos
Outside View of Jeronimos

Absolutely massive place. Continues to stretch down probably 50 more yards. Sailors prayed here before embarking on their voyages.
Belem TowerBelem Tower
Belem Tower

Used to be in the middle of Tagus, but the river migrated. The last sight of home before sailor's hit the ocean.
Out to SeaOut to Sea
Out to Sea

Tagus moving out to the Atlantic.
Giant Sculptures at Monument to DiscoveriesGiant Sculptures at Monument to Discoveries
Giant Sculptures at Monument to Discoveries

Leads up to Henry the Navigator, the Portuguese prince who kicked off the voyages. Behind him are all the people who helped along the way.
Other Side of MonumentOther Side of Monument
Other Side of Monument

More giant sculptures.
Henry with a Caravel Henry with a Caravel
Henry with a Caravel

The small ship that made the voyages possible. Columbus sailed in a type of caravel.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb