Lisbon - a delight


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
April 12th 2019
Published: April 12th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Lisbon 11th April



Our final port of call and we were arriving a good couple of hours late due to fighting head winds all day yesterday as we came out of the Mediterranean Sea, through the straits of Gibraltar and into the Atlantic Ocean.



Normally we approach quite early in the morning so it gave us a chance to see the coastline in the daylight as we sailed up the river Tagus to our berth.



We berthed at the newest terminal prow to prow with the Aurora, our next cruise ship which will take us to the Caribbean in January 2020.



Lisbon is Portugal’s hilly, coastal capital city. From imposing São Jorge Castle, the view encompasses the old city’s pastel-colored buildings, Tagus Estuary and Ponte 25 of April suspension bridge.



Since our visit last year they have built and opened a new cruise terminal which is close to the city’s compact cobblestones heart.



Having done tours out to Sintra and Cascais in the past (a must if its your first visit) and also done the hop on, hop off buses it was good to have a wander around the back streets.



They have also introduced motorised Tuk Tuks, last year they were cycle rickshaws as another mode of transport so there are lots of choices if you want to see more of the city.



The city areas include the Moorish Alfama district whic has narrow, winding streets and taverns with fado singers. The Chiado area has its cafes, shopping and seafood restaurants adjoins Bairro Alto, known for nightlife.



On the waterfront are the ornate 16th-century Jerónimos Monastery and Belém Tower which we passed on the way into the city on the Tagus to our berth.



A final sail away took us back under the 25th April bridge with superb views of Christ the King similar to Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro. The statue was paid for by the woman of Portugal for the fact that Portuguese men were not actively involved during the Second World War.

The statue is 90 ft high and sits on a 270 ft high plinth.



Finally passing under the bridge, which looks a bit like the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, there are no pedestrians but it is unique in as you approach it the bridge gives off a strange buzzing sound and you can see the underneath of cars.



Next stop Southampton, and the end of this cruise which gave us a great opportunity to see the old QE2 in her new life as a floating hotel



Good luck to her!!!!!



Cheers Al & Lin


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.46s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb