Portugal Day 3


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
March 11th 2018
Published: March 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lisbon walking tour


Lisbon Day 3 - today's walking tour will be an endurance test. More hills than San Francisco (at least it seems that way). We left the hotel and headed for THE square to meet out tour. You must be very specific not only about which square but which statue in the Square. Every other block has a square and they all have statues and sometimes more than one. We started the tour with a climb ( as it turns out the same climb as the one we had going to dinner last night) this brought us to the top of the elevator with spectacular views of Lisbon. Timed perfectly in between bursts of rain, we walked back down through newer area to head over to the old part of the city. The difference between old and new was created by the earthquake of 1755 on Nov. 1st. Nov 1st is All Saints day and when the quake hit almost all of the people were in the churches which led to their demise. The old part (Alfama) was spared, the rest of the city was destroyed mainly by fire.

We got on a tram which took us up the the top
The elevatorThe elevatorThe elevator

you pay for a ride up the elevator
of Alfama and began walking down the old streets stopping for Ginja (sour cherry liquour in chocolate cups) and later at a cheese shop for wine cheese and chorizo.

Leaving the group we continued down to the waters edge and over to the Time Out Market. Lisbon's top chefs have stalls here and this place is packed all the time.

Finally made it back to the hotel where we had dinner in the hotel (that was enough walking for one day). 7.5 km

Thinking about going to see a football game but after checking ticket prices,,, just not going to happen. Barcelona vs Real Madrid 500.00 euros.or more.



Tomorrow Barcelona...


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CorkCork
Cork

Cork industry changing from wine to other items
TramTram
Tram

Original cars were imported from San Francisco
Rossio SquareRossio Square
Rossio Square

Notice the pattern makes the ground look like it is not level.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb