Museums of Lisbon


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisboa
June 20th 2016
Published: July 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

We love art and when we visit a museum we see everything in it so we spend most of two days visiting two art museums in Lisbon. I will start with my favorite Museu Calouste Gulbenkian.We were surprised to find it was a short walk from our hotel and is located in a park. When we got there we were disappointed to find only one room of modern art. It was interesting but modern art is not my favorite. We were sure we must be missing something and walked around and found another building a short walk away called (founders collection). The founder donated his entire collection to create this museum. We paid for the audio tour which I highly recommend. The collection is organized by type: Egyptian Collection; Roman Greco Collection; Islamic Art; European Collection and English Paintings. My favorites were in the European Collection.

Rembrandt- Portrait of an Old Man and Pallas Athena

Peter Paul Rubens - Portrait of Helena Fourment his second wife, she was 17 years old and he was 53.

2 paintings by British artist Gainsborough and two by British artist Turner

19 paintings of Venice by Guardi

Multiple paintings by Camille Carot, Edouard Manet, Monet

Multiple sculptures by Rodin

You can see why I liked this museum, we ate lunch in the museum cafe and walked back to our hotel at the end of the day. All of my pictures are from the Gulbenkia, we did not take pictures in the Nacional De Art Antiga.

The Museu Nacional De Art Antiga

We took the metro and a long walk to this museum. In 1833 religious orders were abolished in Portugal. The art from the monasteries were confiscated and many pieces ended up in this museum. Some art came from collections of former Kings and Queens. Portuguese painters and metal workers are well represented. There is some European art mostly Dutch. We ate lunch in the cafe garden which overlooks the bay. It is a great spot to eat lunch.

On our way back to the metro while walking on Ave 24 de Julio we walked into the Time Out Market. This is a great spot with around 39 gourmet food or drink booths. Think high end food court. The market also has a flower market and a fruit and vegetables market. I would make sure to visit this spot if you are hungry or want wine or beer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb