Lisbon at Night


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisboa
June 26th 2012
Published: June 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Lisbon

Tonight we were treated to taste extravaganza. We rode the bus to the port area of Lisbon to a local sea food restaurant, the same one we went to 5 years ago. Nothing changed since last we were there. Even the same waiters were there. We also were lucky enough to be seated near two large screen TV’s tuned into the Euro 2012 match between England and Italy. Nothing could be better than food and futbal! First the food.

We all sat down to an unlimited supply of food and drink. There was on the table already fresh prawns. These were not ordinary prawns but a full 6 inches each, with the heads still on! MY family would not touch them with the eyes looking back pleading, so I was assigned to peel them so all could eat. They were plentiful and delicious. Also on the table were plates of what looked like fried ravioli. These proved to be fried ravioli filled with yellow cheese and lobster. Next to the ravioli was a fried tube also filled with cheese, this time a white cheese, and crab meat. Soon came a red thick soup filled with shrimp and clams. It was tasty but a little fishy so we did not eat too much.

After the soup we were treated to plates upon plates of small clams in a hot butter and oil finish. These were absolutely delicious. The oil and butter sauce was perfect for dipping in bread and savoring the flavor. Not to be out done out came plates of shrimp scampi. The shrimp were tender and very flavorful again in a butter and oil sauce.

The scampi was followed by crab in the shell. This is a specialty of the house. Before the plates were set out we each were given a small solid block and hammer. The goal was to smash the crab shell with the hammer to get at the tender meat. The challenge was not to make a mess or hit your finger. I missed on both counts! With the crab claws was also served an open crab both filled with lump crab meat mixed with a savory stuffing.

The crab was followed by grinned sardines. These were about 6 inches long and still had the head and tail attached! Once again I was chosen to prepare the fish so the squeamish among us would be able to dine without staring their food in the eye.

After the sardines came a rice dish filled with claims, oysters and more shrimp. This was a very hearty blend in a fine red sauce. With this came a fried potato salted to perfection. Finally came dessert. Our dessert was a mixture of fresh orange, mango and pineapple slices with a light white cream covering. This was joined with espresso and the meal was complete.

Now for the drinks. We were offered an endless supply of, local beers (ice cold and very refreshing); bottles of local red and white wines; and fresh ice cold water. We also were treated to a local concoction of green wine.

The wine is not actually green, but is more like a clear liquid with a very slight tinge of green. The wine if ice cold and sparkling like champagne. It was more sweet than dry, but not overly so. Again it was quite refreshing. For those so inclined we were also offered bottles of various soda or cocktails. If you left the table hungry or in need of a drink, it was your own fault.

During the dinner we were also treated to the England/ Italy soccer match. Now of course we rooted for Italy. It was a very exciting game with Italy dominating but not able to score. England played strong defense but did not attack so after 90 minutes the score was 0:0. The game then went into 2 fifteen minute overtimes where the score remained 0:0. It was not until the game moved to goal kicks that the Italian team was able to score one goal more than the English allowing England to move on and play Germany in the next round.

By this time it was 10:30 and we were exhausted so we hurried off to bed. Tomorrow we head to Fatima to see the shrine then we depart Portugal and return to Spain and a visit to Salamanca.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb