Lisbon- The City of Summer Colours


Advertisement
Europe » Portugal » Lisboa
March 24th 2011
Published: April 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We had to finally leave our dear friends the Verdade's. With a bag of fresh oranges in hand, we boarded one of the super-fast (like, 220 km an hour) trains. The journey took 1 1/2 hr. By car this same journey would take 4 to 5 hr depending on traffic. It was not long before we landed in Lisboa (Lisbon). This is a big city mixing old and new,with a love of architecture prominently displayed. ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

fosselsfossels
fossels

there are fossels every where on the rock that were used to make the old rock walls.
Snails and beer a  great snackSnails and beer a  great snack
Snails and beer a great snack

Boiled snails is a great snack and if any of you would like the reciepy I will be happy to share it with you. Don't knock it till you try it!!!
lisboa lisboa
lisboa

We called it Africa Square



14th April 2011

Thank You!
I wanted to thank you for this entry, especially your comments on the street art and the street mosaics. I've been living in Porto for about 7 months now and I completely agree with you that there's something missing from the street art scene here. Although, I know exactly what gallo you're talking about (in between Aliados and Sao Bento I believe). There are a couple regular artists here that I've noticed and they have made their way to all parts of the city. One is a strawberry tag and the other is a gem stencil (sometimes a sticker or a tag as well). There is also a smilely face artist, but s/he only works downtown. Lisbon wins, hands down. If you liked the mural that you mentioned above, make sure to go to the Marques de Pombal rotunda and take the street that runs North. On the right after a block or two you'll see three abandoned buildings completely covered. They're incredible. And I love that you call it "Africa Square!" I lived in Guinea for two years, and when I stumbled upon that exact spot, I saw a woman selling kola nuts and nearly screamed with joy. It's interesting because the square has been rededicated as the place of tolerance (once upon a time, many people were killed there, so now Lisbon is reclaiming it). I thought I heard someone speaking one of the Guinean languages I know, so I asked him. He was from Guinea-Bissau, but said, "hold on!" and within 60 seconds, I was surrounded by 8 Guinean men telling me stories about their life in Portugal in Pular. I know this may not be interesting to you, but your post made me so excited. Thank you for noticing all the little quirks of Portugal that mean so much to me.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb