Jesus selfies and lunch with a view


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisboa » Almada
April 16th 2018
Published: April 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Monday: SUN, YIPPEE!!! Today, Mike and I decided to take an Uber across the April 25 Bridge and visit the 300 ft Cristo Rei statue. This is kind of a San Francisco meets Rio de Janeiro scene. Red suspension bridge and Jesus over-looking Lisbon. The artwork at this pilgrimage site is surprisingly modern in its style and is present in all of the chapels. We took the elevator to the top of the base where we could get a different view of the city that we have had on the opposite side of the river. The park around the monument had a religious vibe with the Stations of the Cross and chanting but also an open, nature trail feeling along the river.

Glen, Karen, Mike & I had decided this morning to meet for lunch at a restaurant on the river that we had heard about on a Portugal video (Phil?). Checking Google, Mike and I decided to walk the 2.5km to lunch. Karen and Glen were on a different adventure and would Uber there. After winding our way thru town, we came to what we thought was a dead end. There was a restaurant, but the wrong one. Hmmm,
what to do... Deciding to try the steep stone steps on the right, we hoped that they went where we wanted to go. Down, down, down, into a neighborhood of abandoned roofless homes. Just as we were thinking, "ugh, who's idea was this?" and giving each other the stink-eye, the steps turned a corner. Before us was the most scenic restaurant ever.

Located near the water, the tables are on the pier. At the edge. No railing. No OSHA, here. The food was amazing! We shared olives, octopus salad and a bottle of Vinho Verdi before our entrees arrived. Mike and I had the house specialty, Monkfish w Rice Stew for two that came to the table hot and bubbling from the oven. Glen and Karen shared grilled salmon and a green salad. Another bottle of wine, please. Sitting on the dock was very breezy and cold so our waiters brought blankets to snuggle in while we dined. Heaven.

Finally time to go home, the four of us headed towards a park, a little west of Ponto Final. In this park was an elevator to take us up to the level of the first restaurant or a roadway that looped around and up. Apparently, there was never any need to take the scary rock stairway, after all. Good thing we like a little adventure in our lives.

Uber home. Naptime. Unfortunately, we all stayed up until 1am watching a really long movie, Pearl Harbor. A good basic, keep you awake movie full of Googlable questions. I tell you, this, dear reader, because tomorrow is the first day since arriving that we will have to get up early to catch an 8:30am train to Sintra. Oh, my!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement




Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb