Day 11: Serpins and Lousã


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Central » Coimbra
July 30th 2022
Published: July 31st 2022
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Porto to Coimbra, Serpins, Lousã


Casa branca - our new air bnb for 3 daysCasa branca - our new air bnb for 3 daysCasa branca - our new air bnb for 3 days

Kids are excited that this one has a pool!
Sad to leave the city of Porto but ready to see more of Portugal. We set off for our place near Coimbra in Serpins at Casa Branca (The white house). Along the way, we made a pit stop in Coimbra at a coin laundry and washed some of our clothes. While we were waiting for the machines we noticed some people hanging out on the street and next to our car, 2 girls sitting on our car and 2 men smoking near it on the sidewalk so it didn't give us a great feeling. We were keeping an eye on them and wanting to move on once the wash was done. It was the first time we felt a little uneasy during the whole trip. I'm sure it was nothing but it felt weird.

We packed up our fresh clothes and kept going to Serpins, a windy road through the river valley. Anne had to stop reading her book because she was feeling woozy. We finally arrived at a really nice country style airbnb with a pool!!! It also had a really cool rustic kitchen, that we aren't sure we'll use yet, and a coffee machine. After getting the tour of the place from the friendly hosts (he's from UK and she's from Germany) the kids wanted to swim. It was such a nice change of pace to just spend time swimming in the large pool. The water was about 84 degrees and was refreshing. It had a cool natural water heater made of rock.

On the recommendation from the hosts we went into a nearby town to get a burger at a cool restaurant in the old town. It was a really nice place that had delicious hamburgers and IPA beer! We even got a dessert to go, adter we promised to bring back the jars it came in. We got in the car and drove around a bit to see what else we could find in the town and we came across the old castle. It was a different experience to be there at night with almost nobody else around. There were boardwalks that apparently gonalk around the area and would make dor a nice hike. We are thinking of going there instead of back into Coimbra. Maybe both? When we got back the kids went swimming again and Anne and I had a drink with the hosts and the other guests, also from Germany. Tried to avoid having too much fire water- alcohol made from grape stems, sounded like bad news.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a hot ? one at 40 degrees. We may have to change our plans up and stay inside during the hottest time of the day.

Pool maybe?



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Kids initiation to a  laundromat Kids initiation to a  laundromat
Kids initiation to a laundromat

Most of our air bnbs have washers


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb