The Algarve at a glance


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve
August 3rd 2015
Published: August 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Algarve, Portugal’s southernmost province, occupies about one-fifth of the country’s area and has about half a million permanent inhabitants. Roughly 120 miles (200 km) of coastline boast an almost continuous string of golden sandy beaches, many sheltered by sandstone formations of varying shapes and colours. Its northern boundary is marked by hills, the tallest of which reaches 3000 ft (900m). Located on the tip of Europe with the Gulf Stream on the west, it is surprisingly warm in the winter. It’s where most vacationers head for warmth, relaxation and golf.

It has been inhabited for thousands of years, with many invaders and rulers, notably the Romans, Moors and Spaniards. All have left their mark, such as forts, protective walls and the vestiges of villas and numerous battles. In 1755 many towns were badly damaged by an earthquake, which was so powerful that it was felt as far away as Sweden. For several years it was the object of raids by pirates, but for the past 360 years the Algarve has been the peaceful and tranquil home of farmers and fishermen.

The administrative headquarters, largest city, and site of the international airport is Faro (approx. 65,000), about a quarter of the way west of the Spanish border. In the centre of the coast is Albufeira, a chic resort especially popular with British visitors. Farther west is the second largest city, Portimao, a fishing port with a booming tourist centre at suburban Praia da Rocha. Farther west again is my favorite town, Lagos, north of which is the former Moorish capital of Silves, notable for its fort. At the western extremity is Sagres, which was known to sailors for centuries as “the end of the world, beyond which lie sea serpents and …. ”. Each of these places has a fascinating character, which will be highlighted in subsequent articles. You’ll find lots more info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algarve .

During our five visits we found that the weather can vary considerably. Apparently the winter norm is six days of sunshine and one overcast or rainy day per week. That’s just what we experienced in 1986, but the winter of 1991-92 was the driest in memory, warm and sunny with only five days of rain in ten weeks. No complaints on our part there! At the opposite extreme, in 1996 and 2010 we had far too much rain, but at least we didn’t have to shovel it!

The Algarve is one of the great winter bargain destinations of our time, particularly if you stay in a three or four star apartment hotel or condo (still relatively inexpensive) and make most of your own meals, as we did. Table wine costs about $1 a litre, and a bottle of really good wine is half the price we’re used to paying. You can buy juicy oranges fresh-picked off the trees for about $1 a dozen. If you’ve been spoiled by Tim Horton’s or Starbucks, you'll be happy to hear that Portugal is one place in Europe where they do know how to make a good North American style coffee. Top quality local produce and fresh-caught fish are inexpensive, and always available. There are well-stocked supermarkets, and you’re bound to enjoy the wide variety of copper, pottery and ceramics with colours and designs specific to each town or village.

Further articles about individual destinations will follow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



4th August 2015
outdoor ''gypsy markets''

oooooo I loved those, in Spain too. I'm a pretty good bargainer so had fun with the venders LOL
4th August 2015
pretty inland villages

I too loved those "white' villages! I went on a tour a couple times/week so saw quite a few. I was there in winter so not exactly beach weather ;o)
4th August 2015
well-preserved austere cathedral-fortress in Faro

Great shot! I was staying in nearby Albufeira so went to Faro a couple times to check out the historic buildings & churches etc.....
4th August 2015
and of enduring Roman engineering

Love it! You know me, I love my bridges & trestles & aqueducts ;o)
4th August 2015
azulejos art for sale

The azuelos in Portugal blew me away!
4th August 2015
some of the Algarve's trademark pottery

and pottery too!
6th August 2015

So strikingly stunning! This is one of my favourite albums of your photos. The colours are so rich and deep and the landscape is out of this World; paradise on Earth indeed. Good to know how inexpensive it is, I never would have thought that. Will need to add this gem to mine and Jesse's travel bucket list :)

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb