ALBUFEIRA


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve
January 31st 2024
Published: January 31st 2024
Edit Blog Post

In other news…the first picture I took early this morning while having coffee on the balcony is the sky over the ocean just down the way from our house. Isn’t it beautiful? And there’s a picture of Suki. She’s the cutest little thing, very smart and appropriately pampered. She’s a little Papillion, 12 years old and walks everywhere we do. She never gets tired and keeps looking back to see if we’re coming. She doesn’t need a leash, just stays close and listens very well.

We are taking a break from driving today and exploring the Old Town of Albufeira which is only minutes away from our house. It’s typical of all European towns with the medieval centre of the business area full of very narrow streets and small shops with apartments on the upper floors. Peter took Suki and walked while Daphne, Anne & I did some serious shopping. With no intention to purchase or take home anything I ended up with a soft fleece poncho, a cork & ceramic tile hot mat and a cloth hot pad, both with the famous rooster on them. This rooster is the legendary bird of Portugal and is depicted in colourful ceramics and other artwork.

Our walk through the old town was really enjoyable as this time of year there aren’t many tourists. After shopping we walked to the shore and were amazed by the beach there. It is huge, extremely clean and free lined with restaurants. We chose one near the end of the walkway that had glass panels protecting us from the wind but still in the sunshine. I forgot to take a picture of our meal but in keeping with my record of having seafood every day - I had calamari, salad and fried potatoes. The others had fish. And of course our large beer.

I feel so luxurious sitting there in the sun having had a delicious meal listening to the waves and watching the gulls. They are funny. They come and sit on the ledge by the restaurant and clack their bills to get attention. No one ever feeds them but they don’t give up begging. After wandering back to the car, Peter drives around some of the streets which are a maze of very narrow streets. Sometimes they just get smaller and curve around so you wonder if you will ever get out. Back home for a leisure afternoon and evening.

Our time is running short but we have packed in a lot of fantastic times and scenery and adventures and of course food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.349s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb