Planes, Pains and Automobiles


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Faro
July 18th 2013
Published: July 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lisbon to faro to Portimao

We sidetracked to Faro Airpot to drop off rental and pick up our host's car. Then along the A22 coastal highway to Portimao once the sardine canning capital of the world.

Cork on the roadCork on the roadCork on the road

Transport loaded with a deep pile of freshly harvested cork bark.
Stage One of our Tour de Portugal started off with, big surprise, the flight. That is the Plane part.

Nothing to tell there except that I (Lori) was taking Benadryl round the clock to reduce the significant swelling in my left Cankle….not a running injury but a wasp bite that occurred on my porch in Ajax! I think it was a vampire wasp (is that a kind??). That is the Pain part. We all managed to fall asleep on the flight which was amazing (even Nigel)! I may have even fallen asleep still chewing my dinner….not sure.

We arrived in Lisbon on schedule at 9:30am and it was a breeze getting to Faro airport in the rental car. At our very first roundabout we went around a few times (just cuz). That is the Automobile part.

On route to Faro, we were amazed by all the cork trees. You can see where the bark (cork) has been stripped and we saw trees at various stages of bark re-growth. Then we passed a few transport trucks carrying 20 foot high loads of cork! Pretty cool!

We also saw sunflower fields (like in France) and lavender fields (like France).
Cork barkCork barkCork bark

The trees are carefully harvested. A freshly harvested section must be left for 6 years befor it can produce again.
Drivers here drive incredibly fast. The speed limit is typically 120km/hr and at that speed we were passed often by VERY fast moving cars.

We made it to Faro, got our car and drove to Portimao. Let me just say, THIS HOME IS AWESOME. Actually, that is an understatement. It is gorgeous, the property is spectacular, pool is fantastic! It is an estate really, landscaping is unbelievable (there is a gardener coming 2x per week plus a pool guy). They might come back and find that Goldilocks and her family have not left. Is that a problem?

The day wrapped up poolside with some Vinho Verde (which is a sparkling green wine) – really good!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Caso del ValeCaso del Vale
Caso del Vale

A view of the front drive, a palm and the brights sky.
Backyard dipBackyard dip
Backyard dip

The pool is surrounded by a hedge that produces a small orange like fruit. Anyone know what that is?
Here boy!Here boy!
Here boy!

We love their dog!


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb