An unexspected special event


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland
April 4th 2005
Published: December 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

A flag for the popeA flag for the popeA flag for the pope

With the death of John Paul II the Poles lost a figure of national identity.
An unexspected special event
It may be a carnival, a religious ceremony, a festival or a party: from the carnival of Rio to the Mongolian Nadaam to a Balinese funeral - visiting special events can be very rewarding. Flowers and festive dresses make colorful pictures, special activities or rituals are interesting to watch and often combined with one form of music or another and sometimes dance elements create a special ambience which might be difficult to catch in pictures but is always worth sucking in. Above all, people in a 'not-every-day mood' (be it excited, mourning, happy, in high spirits or just drunk) are mostly happy to share their special day with you.
Of course, as a traveler one also learns to know the backside of special events in the form of crowded buses and trains and hotel prices rising to the sky. So, it is always good to know beforehand and being able to plan your visit. I sometimes feel that without carefully planning to see an event, one always just misses it. Once you are in the country on the right date, but just happen to pick a city where this event is held as an ordinary public holiday.
Mourning the popeMourning the popeMourning the pope

Thousands made their way to Rome - others gathered on the street and on public places to say good-bye.
Another time you are actually on the right place on the right date, but after twelve hours horror bus ride you cannot bring yourself to stay awake for the climax at 3 o'clock in the morning. And the next time you miss it because you just did not know about it or your visa is running out or you are not allowed to join as a woman etc.
But there are exceptions. When we sat in the train going from Krakow to Warsaw we had two women in our compartment - mother and daughter - who kept listening to their radio, silently praying for their dying pope. The passing away was made public the next evening while we were just eating Polish ravioli in a pub - and whole Warsaw seemed to hold its breath. It was not a show-off of emotion, but a quiet farewell to a dear person who has meant a lot to some and everything to others. A whole nation was taking leave of their beloved father. Flowers on the marketplaces, masses in every church and people visiting certain places of special meaning for their prayers. Restaurants and bars were kept closed for the day. Our fellow backpacker next door was not so pleased and grumbled: "no beer in whole Warsaw". We didn't care about the beer and went out to feel the atmosphere. A sad, but truly singular special event.





Find more stories and pictures on our Lovelyplanet-Homepage.



Planet Portrait



Planet Pictures



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb