Szczecin in NW Poland 16 September 2014


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » West Pomeranian » Szczecin
September 18th 2014
Published: September 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Szczecin in NW Poland 16 September 2014

After leaving the Drowski National Park and lakes area, we headed west towards the Odra Valley. The Odra River forms an extensive network of waterways and lagoons before flowing into the Baltic Sea north of Poland and Germany. Szczecin is 14 kms east of the Germany border. It is a big city in the West Pomeranian River region. This area was awarded the European Tourist award in 2010 for a developing tourist region with environmental values. We could certainly see this as we drove around the region. There are plenty of opportunities for water activities as well as horse and bike riding through beautiful forests and along waterways.

The main features of the city were the Castle of Pomeranian Dukes, the Embankment built in the early 20th century, Basilica of St James, the Old Town which was rebuilt after WWll, and the Underground Route which is the biggest non-military shelter in Poland which is under the Central Railway Station and was built during WWll. Apparently it has 7 levels which are all empty ready to accommodate people in emergencies!! Tourists can only visit it at 12MD (which we were too late for).

We then headed for the German border but before doing so, visited Gryfino. We tried to look for Krzywy Las, another travel tip from our Polish family but couldn't find it. But we used the town to spend out Polish Zlotys before entering Euro territory in Germany. We bought fuel, food and a few other things and then went to a Kantor to exchenge the rest of the Zlots for Euros.

We drove out of Poland in a cobbled stone road, crossed the Odra River and entered Germany. We have had a very good time in Poland, catching up with friends and learning about the very rocky history of country.



It was about 6.00pm and we were driving directly into the sun so exited the freeway to a little town called Schmolip and found a lake to camp next to. It had several picnic tables and a slab of concrete for us to park on. It was excellent. The night was coolish so excellent for sleeping. We were on our way to Berlin the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb