The Wolf's Lair.


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Warmian-Masurian » Elblag
August 11th 2009
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Birds..Birds..Birds..

in the forest in Poland
Camping at Lake Goldab, 15-07-2001.

Die Wolfsschanze as the Germans called The Wolf's Lair in their harsh language, the place were Mister Hitler The Big Jew Hater was holed up most of the war orquestrating the horrors befalling his own precious Das Deutsche Volk as well as the rest of Europe -

Wasn't that little sh*t Austrian himself...makes you wonder what his fasciantion with the Germans was. Maybe he felt born in the wrong body...a bit like a Kathoey in Thailand but then more on the nationality side I guess....

Dozens of bunkers and assorted structures set deep in dark and impressive pine forests and surrounded by massive defence works, thousands of foot soldiers, a private airstrip ect ect...all that to make sure that the destruction of Europe went smoothly and according to plan...

Nowadays the remaining bunkers have been overgrown by Mother Nature's disciples, trees, bushes, grasses ands mosses now cover once impressive concrete structures that witnessed years of important human history making, derlict buildings and barracks were once full with the swearing of over-exhausted German special forces having a break from guarding the world's most wanted in that time..

Despite the excited chatter of
Senza..Senza..Senza..

my Russian cycling company
the many German daytrippers bussed in from nearby Gdansk, I can quite literally feel the ghoulds of the past, hear the barking of Wehrmacht officers, the smell of machine oil trying to beat the ancient odours of the forest, army trucks shipping in supplies trying to manuoeuver through muddy roads....this place is eerie and fascinating at the same time and one of the highlights of this trip.

I move over to the small museum on the site to catch up on the Graf Von Stauffenberg story, a German officer who tried a failed attempt on Hitler's life and got executed as a reward as well as another 5000 coup fanatics.

Together with Senza - one of the Russian cyclist ladies on my camping - I cycle a bit through the forest for some fresh air after this little encounter with the darker side of our human nature.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

OwlsOwls
Owls

in the forest in Poland


Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 17; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb