Back to the XI Century


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Pomerania » Malbork
April 28th 2006
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Malbork CastleMalbork CastleMalbork Castle

Havn't downloaded my pics so just putting some net ones on for the time being
Today I was supposed to go with a boy from Monar to see his school and meet his class. was looking forward to it but unfortunately the school has exams going on and the visit was not possible. so as there was no other work I decided to make the trip to Malbork Castle. This i situated in Malbork near Gadansk. I won't dwell into the history of the castle. The link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbork. In short the castle is supposedly the largest Gothic style fortress in Europe. Built in 1274 by the knights of the Teutonic Order. The castle is built of red brick and the architecture and sixe of the castle is quite magnificant. I saw the ineterieors of the castle which has nice frescos and the colection of amber artifacts which is beautiful. as well as some quite inventive constructions like the special furnace that provides heating for the castel(the first of its kind) and toilets with drainage right into the moat. for those who have seen the most funny scene(the toilet one), in Johnny English, the toilets are like that. I found it quite interesting. I picked up some coins that were made to look as they were in those days.
Unfortunately today had practically the worst weather I've seen in Poalnd. for one not only was it cold but the whole day it rained this annoying heavy drizzle. Landed up getting my hair, clothes and bag damp and felt more cold. Brrrr!!!
Anywayz did get to see the castle and it was a trip worth made though there are a few tips I noted that formal sources won't tell you.

Things I learnt today.

When to go: sunny and warm weather is the best time for a visit to Malbork. Rainy and cold weather becomes annoyiong to walk around and take pictures.

Getting there: there are trains from Gadansk that stop at Malbork., It takes about an hour. The time and the price of tickets depends on the train. I travelled by intercity train and paid around 15-17 Zlt. and it took me around 50 mins. I travelled 3rd class and one can sit anywhere though coming back the train and was full and had to stand. Tickets are available at all times.
The station to the castle is around a 15min walk or by bus (No.1)- 1.60 Zlt.

The castle tour: Ticket at reduced rate(students) is 17.50 Zlt. One cannot see the castle alone and have to go in a group which is led by a polish speaking guide. This is compulsory even if you don't speak Polish. The english guides are 150Zlt and have to be booked in advance and that was too pricey for me. There are no maps or speaker giuides available. some rooms can only be understood with the help of a guide otherwise it just looks like a big empty stone room. and the guide unfortnately speaks polish. so if you have a personal guide book then that can be used while looking around. The tour takes around 3 hours and can get quite tiresome when you have finished looking at the rooms and the guide is still rambling on and on. and if u remeber I had mentioned is the beginning, for every 1 english word polish people say 3 so what they have to say takes a longer time. haha!!

Taking Pictures: The castle is built in such a way that there is no provision for good photography. However exiting the castle and crossing the bridge on the river,can give you a lovely view of the entire catle. and that is the best place to take a picture. Remember entrance and exitis from different places so take photos when you want to.

Malbork town: There is nothing to see. Its a small town with only the castle to visit. they were surprised to see an asian. The residents are very nice and helpful

Final Words:

- the castle is quite marvelous to gaze upon, because of it size and the style of architecture. however compared to other castles this one doesn't provide much on the inside. also much of the novelty is lost as one cannot understand the guide. Though I can say that its a trip well worth it on a day with good weather and can be recomended as a day out from Gadansk.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb