The last house in the EU


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Podlachian » Knyszyn Forest
April 28th 2008
Published: May 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Jalowka ChurchJalowka ChurchJalowka Church

A village that has not succumbed to tack.
To escape the urban world, we went as far east as we could to the Belarussian border and beyond convenient commuter time. Jałówka tells a different story, EU cash has been spent on doing up the roads and pavements, and the village green. The green had been a market place in more prosperous times. The shops look like they have had some money spent on them too and the church was sporting a spanking new roof, glinting gold in the spring sunshine. We strolled along a track northwards, which brought us to the Świsłocz valley, which forms the border with Belarus. Again the villages have kept their character, and unfortunately their mutts, which harried our presence with frenzied barking as I took some photos. We might have stayed longer, but a headache was not really what I was after, and we returned west to the nearest bus stop.

Our next trip out was to the centre of the Knyszyn Forest for a tour around the Arboretum, not far from Sokołda. After looking around the Arboretum and its collection of trees, we headed off on a trail, with a bit of extra off-piste wandering suggested by Kasia. Armed with our 1960s
The Eastern BorderThe Eastern BorderThe Eastern Border

The Green and Red stick is in Lukaszenko's Belarus. Keep out, basically.
map we had nothing to fear, and could make a damn sight better job of getting around than the clowns planning an airport. In fact a 9 foot high deer fence blocked our way at one point, but using the Forestry’s Boundary Markers, we could find our way round and get back on trail. We called in at a local shop in Podsokolda before catching a bus. Our presence of swigging beer and munching some nuts by the river proved an irresistible attraction for one old fellow who walked up specially to have a look at us. We should have charged.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The last house in the EUThe last house in the EU
The last house in the EU

ok, barn. But that beck by the (Belarussian) trees is the border.
Frog, AboretumFrog, Aboretum
Frog, Aboretum

Where the party's at....
Frogs, AboretumFrogs, Aboretum
Frogs, Aboretum

...engaged in adult oriented activity
blossom, Arboretumblossom, Arboretum
blossom, Arboretum

Knyszyn Forest
Pasque flowersPasque flowers
Pasque flowers

Rare in this locality, and only out for a bit.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb