Day 24 - Warsaw


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Masovia » Warsaw
July 25th 2015
Published: July 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We have a later start this morning, 0830 with a drive around the city with our local guide. She describes all of the horror of war in this city and how around 85% of Warsaw was razed in the 2nd world war. Most of the buildings we see are replicas of the original ones which were rebuilt based on archived photos, post cards, etc., and it looks realistic.

Eventually we do a street walk through the "old town", most of which has been reconstructed. We are warned about pick pockets again, especially the young kids. As we walk around, there are several kids playing piano accordions and a cup in one hand begging. They are very good at getting in your face, so we are all very concious of our money, etc. One of these kids actually stalked a guy who had just been to the ATM. Interesting watching how they work. The guy was obviously also aware of their practices and moved the kid on quite well.

Our walk is over and we have about 2 hours free time here. Have a drink and then wander through a few shops until we need to meet and get on the bus back to the hotel. We have an optional this arvo to the Wilanow Palace, dubbed the "Polish Versailles".

Just about to leave and I try Stephanie on Viber. She is home so we have a quick chat. Good to hear all is well back home, if cold... We get to the palace. It looks sort of like the Versaille counterpart, but much, much smaller. Interesting tour, finishing in the gardens. Back to the hotel, the rest of the day free. Quick nana nap and then downstairs to check on the Internet for news, etc.

Arrange dinner, and it looks like there will be quite a few of us tonight. Back for a shower and change then down to the bar. About 8 already there, and soon that becomes 10, then finally 13. It has started to rain, actually a thunderstorm so we al vote to eat in the hotel tonight. There are lots of AC/DC fans everywhere going to the concert - will have a wet bum tonight. Quite a few in our hotel, and some have been partying hard already - bottles of wine and vodka being consumed. Could be a big night....

Someone suggests that maybe we should go and reserve a space in the restaurant. Off I go. Oh oh, restaurant closed for a private function tonight - plan B. Nobody really wants to walk too far in the rain, and luckily one of the couples says that they had lunch at a little restaurant just down the road. Merv and I take off to check if they will take us (He had lunch there so knew the layout). In we go, welcomed and we ask if they can take 14 (easier than saying 13). Language difference kicks in and we offered a table for 4. No, 14, then 2 hands and a third to try to get the count of bodies. While this is happening 2 guys at the table where we are negotiating start to have a giggle at our coutimg issues. Finally after a second and third staff member come over, we get the numbers clear. Yes they will take us but not on one table. Perfect. Back to report to the crowd, which luckily hasn't grown any bigger - don't think they would have coped...

we get some umbrellas from reception and away we all troop. In the restaurant, and luckily a few people had left. We get 2 big tables at the back which is a good option as by now, a few have had a few beers so volume is up. Order drinks and mull over the food options. Very Polish style, but we all eventually order food. It arrives in reasonable time, and the serves are hearty, the food quite good. Everyone agrees it has been a great choice. One of the group goes down with the sweats, weird coloured skin and we all get a bit concerned about spreading bugs again. His wife goes with him and we tell them not to worry about paying tonight, someone will cover them.

Get the bill and it works out, with a reasonable tip (the waitress we had was great considering the circumstances) to about 170 zloty a couple, or about $90AUD - not bad for a big meal and a few drinks.

Back to the hotel and bed, oops, maybe not yet. Slip into the bar for one more. Lots of sport on big TV's so we have 1 drink then finally to bed. Might be a few sore heads tomorrow, not me, I feel quite good considering......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.395s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb