Warsaw Again


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Masovia » Warsaw
August 5th 2011
Published: August 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

With another fine warm day assured we made our bus and tram journey into the city then went to find the former Jewish Ghetto. A series of granite memorials to the leaders of the Jewish Uprising is spaced out along the street and leads to the Ghetto Heroes Monument in a green park with shady trees. Today the many seats in this quiet place were occupied, often by elderly folk who may well have memories of the events of this terrible time.
We continued exploring, looking for the only surviving part of the Ghetto Wall. We had the address and had read that the gate to the courtyard is kept locked, so on finding the address we stood and looked through the wrought iron bars wondering how to get a glimpse. Immediately a courier having lunch in his van on the street called to us and unlocked the gate. He must have been delivering at the site and knew the combination to access the property. The gate swung shut and locked behind us while we went in to look at the brick structure with its memorial plaque. Ready to leave, we realised we had no idea how to get out and the man had disappeared! After a bit of waving and calling out on our part, the man in the van reappeared, thank goodness. We then discovered that just around the corner the fragment of the Wall is visible through the gate to another property.
A visit to the beautiful Lazienkowski Park was a restful way to finish our day. This park is extremely large with many beautiful trees, lakes and at least two palaces, one the home of the Polish President. Several other gracious buildings are there too and on a bright summer day the total effect was stunning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.336s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb