In The Ghetto


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Masovia » Warsaw
April 4th 2003
Published: November 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Warsaw is really not a ghetto. They used to have one, maybe was it here the expression was introduced during WWII. In fact, Warsaw fulfils most of the requirements for a modern European city. A well-functioning, punctual public transportation system. A clean, safe city center, where McDonalds’s and KFC's are mixed with the more traditional stores. A nice old town, castles, parks, etc. Friendly people everywhere, willing to help the lost foreigner. A huge building in the middle of the center with a scenic view over the city, a gift from uncle Stalin.

The city has however missed out on one thing that would make it attractive for foreign visitors: It's not adapted for foreign visitors. For people with limited knowledge of the Polish language, simple tasks such as buying a train ticket or a simple meal could turn into serious adventures. The very helpful guys at the Tourist information at the Central Station could very well turn out to be your best friends in the city, writing little notes with "this guy wants a 3-day subway pass" or "this guy wants to make a phone call".

The population seems to be in a transition period, where for a number of reasons the people show a large reluctance to learn and speak German, and have not yet realized the advantages of speaking English. Just give it a few years though, until our beloved European continent has integrated into one...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.029s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb