DAYS 33-34 Warsaw Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Masovia » Warsaw
August 29th 2019
Published: August 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today was a long 14 hr travel day firstly with a 2 hr return journey to Vilnius by private bus before changing to an inter city bus & a 600 km drive for a 2 night stop at the Hit Hotel in Warsaw. Not such a big hit! After check-in we pretty much went straight to bed.

Next day was forecast to be 33 deg. so commenced an early orientation walk with a local guide to see Warsaw’s “old town”. The use of this term is somewhat of a misnomer as despite appearances the old town is very new. As retribution for the Poles resistance to the Germans in WW2 they set about systematically destroying all of Warsaw. The commencement to rebuild the old town to original 18th century architectural drawings only commenced in the 1980’s after housing & infrastructure needs were rebuilt.

We wandered along the Royal Mile with its many beautiful baroque buildings but mostly missed the many museums & other arts & cultural facilities as it was too hot & walked back to our Praga district hotel.

A group dinner in the old town wrapped up a brief but memorable visit to Warsaw.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Dtown WallsDtown Walls
Dtown Walls

Mostly reconstructed


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb