Days 31 - 32 Aukstaitija National Park Lithuania


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Trakai
August 27th 2019
Published: August 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Monday was hot & ideal for the activities planned. We started with a 2 hr train trip to Ignalina and then a private bus to the charming village of Ginuciai & a two night stop at a homestay. The village was an ideal base to explore the Aukstaitija National Park that comprises numerous pristine lakes and rivers, small villages and ancient pine forests.

After a quick check-in we headed out in kayaks for a 2 hr (6 Km) paddle along a picturesque shallow river. The river meanders through fallen trees & flanked by charming log cottages & nesting bird habitat before running into a large lake. Across the lake we stopped to hike a hill to an ancient pagan site with a wishing tree before another short paddle to our pickup point. Regardless of whether your wish is likely to be fulfilled the views from the top across the surrounding forests and lakes was well worth the hike.

We finished a memorable day with a delicious home-cooked meal by our home stay hosts followed by a very competitive game of cards.

Tuesday was another active day with short morning & afternoon rides around the nearby villages that date from the 14th century and consist of traditional wooden houses and farmsteads. Between rides Ruth took a paddle board out onto the lake.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hill top view of lake Hill top view of lake
Hill top view of lake

Hundreds of lakes in NP


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb