Kraków...a beautiful city full of gentle souls......


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
April 29th 2016
Published: April 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Traditional meat market.Traditional meat market.Traditional meat market.

Chicken here tastes like it did when I was kid! And they sure know how to cook pork too!
We have just enjoyed our final day in this beautiful city, which has been full of surprises. What strikes us most is that although the roads are very busy and congested, there is absolutely no road rage evident. Drivers are patient and courteous...to pedestrians and other vehicles. We've come to the conclusion that centuries of suffering builds huge compassion, and patience, within a nation. If we have ever looked lost, standing on a street corner with our map upside down, locals have stopped and offered to help. Most people in the service industry speak a little English, and are happy to speak it to us. We have enjoyed great food, beer, gelato, and coffee...almost as good as New Zealand's! And it's super cheap! Much cheaper then Budapest.

Today we've attempted to walk off a few of the extra calories we've consumed, by sampling way too many local delicacies. A walk to the historic Wawel Castle was well worth it. We were accosted by a passionate Polish historian as we walked up to the castle, and so enjoyed a personalised tour of the Wawel Royal Cathedral...simply stunning. No photos allowed inside, but the art-works, tapestries, red-marble carved tombs, solid silver carved
The original castle gate.....dates from 10th century! The original castle gate.....dates from 10th century! The original castle gate.....dates from 10th century!

The castle was commandeered by the Nazi SS during WW2.....
reliefs.....all so breathtaking. And I really loved hearing the Polish history from a native. Shane not so......he struggled a little with her accent, but my ears are accustomed to funny talking! She told us the legend of the dragon living in the castle dungeon. Hence all the dragon details in the outside of the castle....and tacky soft - toy dragons for sale in tourist souvenir stall.

Our afternoon was spent walking a few more kms over to Oscar Schindlers factory and museum, and then back home throug the Old Jewish Quarter. More horror stories of Nazi brutality and we decided on the way home we were by now a little 'historied-out"! So we had a stunning gelato to make ourselves feel better.......as you do.

Bags are packed, and in storage at Andel, our fabulous hotel which we've had the good fortune to stay in. An eight hour trip on overnight train to Vienna leaves here at 10.00pm...........


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Royal cathedral domeThe Royal cathedral dome
The Royal cathedral dome

Gold-leaf isn't in short supply.
The fortified castle wallThe fortified castle wall
The fortified castle wall

Originally there were forty something towers, as part of the old city wall, protecting the city. Now only six remain......


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb