Day 22 - Kraków


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
July 23rd 2015
Published: July 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

KrakowKrakowKrakow

Salt mine carving
Up very early, breakfast at 0630 for a 0707 departure. This time is strict as we have an early slot for the Salt Mine tour. Everyone is good and we are all on the bus by 0703 - big tick from Kari Anne. Get to the mine and we are the 2nd coach but get in as the first group down the shaft.

We are herded into the lift well where we are loaded 8 at a time into the lift. There are 4 carriages on top of each other and as we are the first group (lift with the highest headroom so all the tall boys are in this one) we have to wait and go up bit by bit as the others are loaded. All in and down we go about 90 metres underground. Only takes a few seconds and we are out - yep, FILO - first in last out.....

This place is amazing. Not only did they mine rock salt, they also carved statues and lots of other things down here in their spare time. We wander in and out of shafts with varying displays of how they worked, and the statues and wall murals
Kraków Kraków Kraków

Chandelier mad with rock salt crystals
they carved. We then descended into another area and finally got to the piece de resistance - an entire chapel carved into the cave with and altar and statues everywhere. They still have mass their every Sunday and also have weddings, etc. they also have a function room, cafeteria and other amazing things. A real spectacle.

Chris was talking to our guide who was bringing up the rear to make sure everyone was in the right place. She was saying that because she wasn't commentating on this trip she had seen some things she had never noticed before. She also gave Chris some special commentaries on how the salt was mined and then handed her a piece of rock salt about the size of a big stone. Nice souvenir. Our early start had paid off as we had almost exclusive space in the mine.

Back to the hotel where we had time to get a 2nd session at the breakfast bar - nice, topped up a bit so lunch wasn't really needed. Our walking tour then started. We walked up to the castle area (just out the back of our hotel).

Not sure if I mentioned before
KrakowKrakowKrakow

Chapel in the middle of the salt mines from above the choir loft
that we have a couple from Enzed, the husband had a stroke 2 years ago, but is now able to move a bit. He is in a travel scooter - like a trike with a small electric motor. His wife is amazing, as one guy said, a real angel. She gets him ready, makes sure he is going the right way, etc. Most of the guys have tried to help as much as possible to ease her load. The hill to the castle was reasonably step but he was able to get the scooter up that hill. Then there were some small steps and he was going to just stay outside, but we all said no, so between a few of us, we effectively picked up the scooter with him on it and got him past the steps - job done. He couldn't get into the first church but one of the guys stayed with him - doesn't like churches so he was happy to have an excuse to stay out. When we got out, the sky was black, maybe a thunderstorm coming. Did the rest of the castle and then down to the old town.

Wandered through the
KrakowKrakowKrakow

Floor tiles carved from rock salt....
Main Street when we were met by Kari Anne who had arranged for us to have 2 scoops of ice cream each on the company - nice touch and appreciated by all as it was bloody hot by now. Finished tour and all of a sudden the wife of the stroke man realised her wallet was missing - oh oh. Minor panic, then she remembers that she had tried to buy her husband an ice cream and there was a fuss about change - hadn't seen it since. She walks back with Kari Anne and one of the other guys takes her husband back to the hotel. No luck with the search, but luckily they had a second set of cards and were able to cancel the lost cards only so they were able to keep going.

We had asked the tour guide if there was a good restaurant we could go for tea. Advice given and as it turns out, 8 of us went there. Good honest Polish food we are told. Re-arrange the tables out the front and order our food. Everyone is happy and it turns out to be a really cheap night - 100 polish
KrakowKrakowKrakow

Wall mural in the chapel I the salt mine
zloty a couple - about $30 AUD and that included a few drinks.

Walk back to the hotel and off to bed, another early start tomorrow - off to Auschwitz.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Krakow Krakow
Krakow

Carving of Mary behind the altar of the chapel. Note the crystals behind the statue
KrakowKrakow
Krakow

Our lift out, this one wasn't the high one, notice the bend on the head of one of our taller members of the group.


Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb