Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
August 19th 2014
Published: August 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Sorry about the delay, we are desperately grabbing wifi when we get it! Bit behind but here is krakow....

This city has been my favourite so far!
In the evening* we head out for dinner in the city where I had the local "beef rolls and dumplings" (wasn't that impressed but I am trying to eat local dishes!)
Most of us then headed out to the Krakow bar crawl which was a great opportunity to not only see the vibrant city at night but also get to know the other people on the bus!
Despite getting in at around 2 am, about 19 of us were up at 8 ready for a bike tour of Krakow! This has been my favourite day so far. We spent around 4 hours touring the city, including the main square ( Nana, I managed to hear the bugle player - did you know that the piece he plays stops suddenly because when the first player played it, he was shot by an arrow, before he hadA chance to finish!)
We then cycled along the river and into the Jewish quarter, where sadly only around 500 Jews still remain (before the war around 3 million lived there).here we stopped where they filmed Schindlers list, for an amazing chocolate drink and had had a wander around the flee market.
We then cycled out to Schindlers factory, although there wasn't much to see there.
We finished around 2 and went to find the Pirogi festival, where we had many different filled polish dumplings. As we wandered back to the hostel, we picked up an Apple Pie flavoured ice cream! 😊
We didn't have time to change before we went out to the Salt mines! There were mixed reviews about these.... The carvings in the salt were spectacular, including an incredible underground church ( unfortunately we were not allowed to take photos of this but if you Google it, it will be there!)
The other argument was that it was very tourist focused and commercialised and we didn't really learn about the production of salt!
But we did do A LOT of walking...
Total steps?
31,000 in one day!
We were exhausted but enjoyed a well deserved hearty meal in the Jewish Quarter.
Today we head to Zakopane, in the eastern Alps, where we are going to wonder up into the mountains and possibly join a Tabogan run!
Everyone is getting on really well- I don't think I have ever really known Australians before but I have decided they are my favourite type of people 😊 they also wear flip flops EVERYWHERE!
I have made it my challenge to learn everyone's name by the end!

Hannah xox

Advertisement



Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb