Krakow Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
July 4th 2013
Published: July 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

While in Krakow, I met a concert pianist who studied music at the University here in Krakow. She owns a flat here in the Jewish quarter. Although she is Jewish, not many of the people living in the Jewish quarter are Jewish. The Jews were all exterminated by the Germans as you know. Her ancestors survived the genocide because they were living in Moscow at the time.

A few days later I met a visiting foreigner who was an employee of his foreign government. In one sentence, he thanked me as an American for freeing his grandfather from a concentration camp. If not for America, he said, his parents and his cousins would not exist. A few sentences later, he said something that still flabbergasts me. He said, “Not everything Hitler did was bad. He killed a bunch of Gypsies didn’t he?” How does this man reconcile these two thoughts in his mind? How could he not understand that he holds the same hate that almost killed his grandfather?


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



4th July 2013

Captions? : }
Love the photo of fruits and vegetables at the grocer. More of that! More photos of farmer's markets and the like? That would be lovely. Love that there is a photo of you at the start of each of your entries. Wish there were more (of you) but this is better than none. Want captions! I know how laborious that must be for you but it would enhance the reader's experience (well, mine anyway) so very much. Is the addition of captions even a possibility? Finally, thank you for your lovely thoughts at the beginning of each new entry. Wonderful stuff. Thank you for allowing us to share in your travels.
5th July 2013

Why the Xenophobia?
Hi Dan, It appears that our acculturation, leaves us with mental blinders to the equality of those other than us or our clan. It is way past time for this kind of thinking. It is the chief reason that war is still possible and as Bucky Fuller said, "...either war is finished or mankind is finished." Love you, n
10th July 2013

Nice to read that someone like Poland. My grandfather was from Poland and I would like to know something about this country. I was in Cracow 5 months ago and I love this city. History, monuments, climate.. place with coffe and beer. I stayed in Flamingo Hostel in the heart of the city and was good because it\'s nice place too. Everyone who think about visit in Poland..- recommend it!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb