Krakow


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
September 26th 2005
Published: September 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Krakow


Hello from Krakow...

Well, it's safe to say that we both loved Poland!! We found the people very nice and helpful. Those that could speak English tried their best and wanted to talk to us. The staff at the hostel where we stayed were great. They helped us make travel arrangements, check on schedules and help us with whatever questions we had. And we got that all for the bargain price of $37.90/night. We also were able to do laundry and use the internet there.

We made a few side trips from Krakow. In the last three pictures we posted, you can see that we went to Auschwitz. Needless to say that it was a very moving experience. I think we both learned a few new things about what took place here. I for one did not know that there was a much larger concentration camp called Birkenau that was built a year after Auschwitz because the Nazis weren't "processing" enough people through Auschwitz at a fast enough rate. On a lighter note, we visited the salt mine in Wieliczka. We went 130 meters underground to explore the mines. They have a chapel and ball room down there carved out of salt where you can get married and then have your reception. We also did a 3 hour bus ride each way to visit Czestochowa and see the Black Madonna. Seeing the number of pilgrims from all over the world come to the site was another moving experience.

As for our ongoing food and beverage reviews, we give the food a resounding "A" and the beverages a "B". The portions were consistently generous and the prices extremely reasonable. We usually ate our fill for $20 for the both of us. We tried a variety of pierogis (including meat ones, which were pretty good) and a couple of different preparations of golabki (cabbage rolls). The soups also garnered a high rating. Doug had a delicious traditional sour cabbage soup; I had some hearty bigos (hunter's stew with kraut in it) and golazawa (spicy goulash soup).

We again found a local bar that we made our own. The wait staff there was very friendly and a couple of them spoke good English, so we were able to talk with them for a long time. There was one worker there who was a little sheepish about talking to us in English, but was interested in American slang, so when he overfilled a beer and it spilled over, Doug and I both said "alcohol abuse" in stereo. He had us write it down for him so that he could use it again. On the night we left, we spent 67 zloty just on beer there before we caught the night train (from hell). That was about a dozen beers for that price. Doug felt obligated to once again try and sample every kind the guy put in front of him.

So the final thought from here is that we will definitely come back!!!

Here is the updated map of our journey so far. Budapest is next!

Map so far



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



29th September 2005

Sounds like a great time. You'll have to let me know when you go back, I'm definitely tagging along!
29th September 2005

Fascinating travels....
Doug and Mary, I'm enjoying your updates enourmously. The photography is wonderful and I look the commentary about each place. It feels almost like I'm there with you. Have fun! Keep me in the loop! Thomas
29th September 2005

So exciting
30th September 2005

Beautiful
The sidewalk cafe is gorgeous. And, Doesn't Doug look spiffy next to that Tennessee Vol Orange car?!? :)

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb