No amount of words


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Auschwitz
June 30th 2007
Published: June 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

No amount of words can express the feeling at auschwitz, the shear scale of the horror that happened there is incomprehensible. Although you see and know what went on there, when you walk around it is impossible to relate these facts to reality. I was in two minds as to whether i wanted to go to auschwitz but in the end im glad i did, because yesterday when i left auschwitz i think i was different mentaly to when i arrived.

It made me angry, how can anyone hate that much? how can anyone blindly follow orders? When you learn about the holocaust in school it is detached, just a page, but when you are immersed in the environment, it becomes more than history. I think out of respect we should never forget what happened there. The most shocking part is the efficiency of Auschwitz and Birkenau (Birkenau more so) they are like production line, massive human abotoires. Where people are seen as less than human. I can make no connection to the germans and the germany that i know and have been to and the germans which could have done this.

We were standing next to the ruins of the main gas chamber and there was a group of jewish men and women standing in a circle around a flag with the star of david on it, which had been placed on top of a german flag (almost as though they were forgiving them) they began lighting candles in absolute silence, each placing one on the star, then a lady with a really beautiful but sad voice began to sing, i swear it was the most moving experience of my life... True it was a sad trip but i think out of respect for all the suffering i had to go. I will never forget this.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

ReincarnationReincarnation
Reincarnation

These frogs were born and live in a pond where the cremated remains of countless innocents were dumped


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb