Day 10 - Bydgoszcz, Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Kuyavian-Pomeranian » Bydgoszcz
October 1st 2012
Published: June 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

'Love' padlocks'Love' padlocks'Love' padlocks

As a sign of everlasting love, polish lovers engrave padlocks and lock them to the bridge
Due to the 3 bottles of wine along with all the beer and vodka that we drank last night, we sleep in and miss breakfast. Archie and Margaret are looking fresh as usual (how the hell do they manage it?) and suggest we take a walk into the centre of town. On the way we spot a McDonald's sign, and we really need to soak up the alcohol with some junk food so make a quick beeline for the doors. Suitably fed again, we wander into the old town. To be fair their isn't a ridiculous amount to see, and we pretty much walk round the whole thing in about 30 minutes.

On the way back we spot a shopping mall so nip in for a nosy, and then stop for a coffee in a nice little restaurant. Ordering drinks is a gamble seeing as the waiter doesn't speak English (it also doesn't help that Archie asks for a large beer in Spanish). After more hand signals and pointing, we near enough end up with the right drinks, apart from Margaret's tiny thimble full of red wine (which was meant to be a large white wine). We have a quick rest before dinner, and Greg fetches our travel kettle from the car so that we can have a wee cup of tea first. Just as we're about to plug it in, we get a call from the front desk telling us we aren't allowed our own kettle in the room. Greg asks why and she simply replies it’s in the rules. Greg then asks what were meant to do if we want a cup of tea then and she tells us we need to buy one from the bar. Greg retorts back by saying "so we need to pay for one then?" and she says yes. Greg hangs up after telling her we'll bring the kettle down, but we make a cup of tea first, such rebels that we are. But seriously, I'd love to see where in the rules it says no kettles allowed. Later we head out to a nice wee restaurant in the centre of town, and have another lovely meal which includes baked feta cheese and pork medallions in mushroom sauce. I love the food in Poland- it’s such comfort food and always tastes amazing, plus it’s so cheap! A 2 course meal for 4 people with 2 drinks each costs us about 30 quid! Afterwards we have a quick drink in an old ferry boat at the side of the river and then head back into our room to have a few more drinks there, but certainly not as many as last night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb