Husky Encounter


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
July 5th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Lunch IncludedLunch IncludedLunch Included

Fish and sausage feast.. for the dogs
Geo: 78.21, 15.61

Ive never seen anyone so enthusiastic to start work. Howling, pouncing, salivating, yelping, bursting with excitement. No, not some deranged human, but the huskies who would be pulling us by sled today. According to our guide, the last 12 hours had been the most rain he had seen in Svalbard. It hadn't poured, but a constant drizzle had fell since last night. That was ideal really, as much of this morning was uneventful. We spent the time relaxing at the guesthouse, especially as Natalie has started to feel quite sick.
Our experience today started at 3pm. By then, the rain had cleared. We were picked up from our guesthouse and taken out on the only main road out of Longyearbyen, about 12km. Here we stopped at the spot where 30 huskies lived. Each had their own doghouse with their names printed; Viking, Osta, Speed, Jimmy, Hendrix, Lulu, John, near every dog rose to attention at our arrival. We were given waterproof clothing and boots and introduced to the dogs. From here we would be taking a 90 minute wheeled dog sled ride over the tundra.
There were seven of us to get the dogs ready for work. Harnessing them, taking them to the sled and preparing them to leave. It was certainly no chore for the dogs, and before long, we were off. Three sleds of three people, two with guides, Nat and I on a sled with a guide. We took turns being the driver, standing at the back, steering the sled, with three brakes to slow it, whilst the other two sat in front. Basically, the dogs just run where they want. Being wet, the passengers certainly got a good spraying of mud as we headed off on the road towards the old airport. It was a fun and scenic ride, the dogs happily leading the way. We took a few stops for the dogs to drink and even spotted some reindeer on the way.
When we arrived back, the dogs were paid for their efforts with a grand feast of fish and sausages. We unstrapped them and took them back to their kennels, even having a bit of time to play and say goodbye.
We elected to be dropped in town for another grocery shop. Tonight would be another home cooked meal, chicken wings, nuggets and strips with chips and vegetables. 10pm now, and time to sleep. Tomorrow at 9am, we have a glacier hike. I hope Nat recovers as shes drowning in sickness across from me. The pharmacy was closed by the time we had returned to town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Harnessing the dogsHarnessing the dogs
Harnessing the dogs

Putting on dogs work clothes
Are we friends?Are we friends?
Are we friends?

Speed my favourite husky


11th July 2013

love the views but not sure about your makeup

Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0919s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb