Amazing Alesund


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
June 8th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 62.4723, 6.15492

This was my most anticipated stop in Norway. Trondheim was a pretty place, but today we really got a dose of the spectacular Norway we had been hoping for. Spectacular as it was, we probably saw much of todays beauty at 60% of its grandeur. Rain and fog was the weather of the day and persisted for its entire duration. Much of the sights to see were partially obstructed with fog and views were somewhat restricted at times.The plan today was a guided tour to the Trollstigen mountain, or path of the trolls. A spectacular mountainous region with one of the worlds most windy roads, and Europes highest vertical cliff face at 1,000 metres. Our first stop aboard this tour was the Rose Church, located in the Norwegian countryside. This was a tiny church from the late 1700s with a beautiful ornate painted interior. To Natalies relief it was a very different type of church from recent church overload. Driving on, we started to get a glimpse of the proper impressive fjords we had so been looking forward to, even though mist hid many of the mountain tops. The terrain of the countryside here is rugged, stony, green, and wooded in parts. There is space, the homes are large and some have grassy rooves! Roads wind through valleys, flanked by streams, waterfalls and towering mountains. Sometimes the roads go through the mountains, tunneling through rock and stone. Every where you look there are picturesque homes, rolling hills, and mountains that seem to reach the sky, many whitecapped or splashed with snow. As we drove on, and up, towards our destination, the temperature dropped and snow became more and more prominent. Finally, the bus came to a stop and a restaurant overlooking the path of the trolls. To our surprise and relief, lunch was included; Salmon, rissoles, potatoes, mixed vegetables and ice cream cake for dessert. I enjoyed a peculiar Norwegian grape cider type drink. By the time lunch was finished, and we had an hour to explore, mist had rolled in and rain was pouring down heavily. This just meant putting on our rainjackets and hoods and seeing what we could find. We regretted wearing runners and not our hiking shoes today! There were a couple vantage points to behold, offering great views of the path of the trolls and cliff face ahead. With snowfall around us within touching distance, I ventured off the track to get a handful of Norwegian snow. Being a nice guy I resisted the urge to throw it at Nat and offered it as a gift instead. Back in the bus heading town the path of the trolls road, you couldn't see alot with the mist. Thankfully, it cleared towards the bottom and offered great views. The last stop was the Trollstigen cliff face itself. The top wasn't visible, but I did get a photo with a creepy troll statue. Trolls feature heavily in Norwegian mythology.So we called it a day and the bus headed back to Alesund. We got a brief drive around town, but with the rain easing, decided to go for a walk as well. The remainder of the evening spent on the boat included a spa, dinner and a drink by the piano.And now, some thoughts;- Norway is impressive. Its rugged, mountainous, green, cold and hearty. The homes are large and spaced out. There is heaps of space. The people are generally very fit, keen on outdoors, hiking, skiing and cycling. Everything is extremely expensive. Beer or wine will cost $15-20 AUD. Standard main meals or pizzas will cost you $50 AUD each. People do not travel much or spend much. Jobs are plentiful. Life seems simple and laid back.- We are exhausted. The ship is comfortable, but our schedule has been hectic and our body clocks shot. We've hardly seen the stars for weeks. Its light at midnight. When we sleep in our interior stateroom, its pitch dark and impossible to keep track of time. Were always tired, physically drained from gym walking about, or weird sleep.- We are growing more cynical and frustrated with people. This morning a couple next to us at breakfast oozed such negativity it was infuriating. I dont like this menu, I'm too tired to get up and move, I want a specific amount of blueberries on my muffin, too much. Take it back. I dont like how this hot chocolate is made. Todays tour was cut an hour short because someone complained they might not make it back in time for dinner, or have enough time to get changed. We've met some good people but the majority just winge, demand, show no respect, courtesy or awareness of others.- Were happy, comfortable and enjoying ourselves overall. Things have gone well, we've not spent too much, seen great things and are looking forward to months ahead.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



12th June 2013

Spectacular! the Misty Mountains could almost be a scene out of "The Hobbit" - didn't see any dragons!
12th June 2013

I like this cosy little church!

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb