The Jostalsbreen Glacier


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
June 9th 2010
Published: June 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

9 June 2010

An action packed day!

We got up early and caught the 8.00am car ferry along the length of Geirangerfiord. The weather was dull but we still got a good view of the cliffs, tumbling waterfalls and abandoned farms in this spectacular water way.

As we left the ferry the weather immediately improved and after a coffee stop we drove to the village of Loen and then along a beautiful 21k side road to Kjenndalsbreen a place where a spur of the Jostalsbreen glacier drops to the valley floor. The Jostalbreen is a 500 kilometre square ice plateau and the largest glacier in Europe. We were able to walk across a snow field and right up to the edge of the ice fall thanks to our Yak Traks, some mini crampons we bought in America. We had our picnic lunch at an idyllic layby just below Kjenndalsbreen.

Replete, we continued southwards through some more impressive glaciated valleys with numerous waterfalls tumbling down their sides, pretty villages and views of the glacier to our night stop at Laerdal, a town with many interesting timber buildings constructed over 150 years ago.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb