Does this Sun Ever Set?? Asking for a Friend....


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
July 31st 2019
Published: July 31st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Harstad, Norway

The sun was up WAAAAAAAYYYY to early for this weary traveler! When I answered a call of nature at 3ish the sun, already awake and ready for its day, held sway over its domain. TOO. DAMNED. EARLY!

We have blackout drapes and such, but there’s this small gap at the bottom on the right. GLARING SUN. OK – we are well within the Arctic circle at this point, we have reached Norway’s apex, it’s south from here on out.

The landscape is reminiscent of a Lord of the Rings movie. Jagged mountain tops, Mountains rising haphazardly from the sea, small islands and even smaller islands connected by some manner, under the sea; perhaps they are their own mountain tops submerged beneath the Arctic and or Norwegian sea. Mesmerizing, to say the least.

It’s a chilly windy day here in Harstad. The temperature never got above 15 degrees Celsius (hovered around 12 most of the day (50’s to 60’s)). We took the shuttle for the 3.5 mile drive to the center of town…which isn’t saying much. Very small town. Charming in its own way, but quite tiny. Harstadt is a destination for those interested in the Northern lights. There’s a beautiful School of Architecture, and Art just along the waterfront. Scattered around the harbor are housing complexes – modern masterpieces with the most amazing of views. We didn’t stop to see the prices, but overall, we found the housing not as expensive as we had thought (if I’m doing my math properly)!! Probably the least expensive thing in Norway!! Hehe

We spent about 90 minutes or so walking around. It is a VERY small town. Took the next shuttle back to the ship and had a very, VERY relaxing day. Lunch at the Terrace – we both had Cobb salads with an ice cream chaser. Back to the room. I read, Christopher went on the computer and we just chilled.

We set sail off at 4pm – heading south to Bergen. Tomorrow is a sea day – YES! How we relish sea days.

I’ve lost track of the days here on board Marina. I consider that a good thing. A very good thing. As I look out the veranda window, I see Harstadt retreating behind us. A charming city surrounded by nature’s finery; dramatic seascapes, mountains and a rugged shoreline. The ocean is a blue/green – not the brackish color of the Bering sea. When on the shore, looking into the water the clarity is amazing. One can see the bottom – in fact today we saw not only fish, but starfish glowing red and proud in its home beneath the waves.

Tonight we scored another reservation at Red Ginger, all thanks to Sonu, or wonderful Butler who takes amazing care of us! We both know the Crispy Duck and watermelon salad will be on our plates…other than that not certain….something that pairs nicely with a 2009 Insignia.

At this point, just after four in the afternoon, I’m contemplating my next move…fitness center, sauna, or just reading here in the room. We shall see. Ended up in the Executive Lounge to read the NY Times. Probably should have gone to the fitness center instead. The news is so frustrating. The story of those 2 Marin IDIOT drug addled morons who murdered a Carabinieri has me seeing RED. So stupid, three lives ruined over cocaine? Damned fools!

OK…rant is over. I went back to the room and got dressed for cocktails. We went down to Martini’s for Happy Hour and each had a Whisky Sour…I think my first. I liked it. I think these mixed drinks are what we need to stick to on board the ship…without our regular liquor and mixers – we are just SPOILED. Big Surprise!! We ran in to our “friends” from Plymouth Massachusetts, who joined us. We sat and chatted the cocktail hour away – finally learned his name…still NO CLUE of her name (gonna have to admit it to them – I’m SURE we can find a way).

Time to dine at Ginger. We were supposed to share a table, but the other couple cancelled….I asked if we could bring our friends (Ted & Wife) down to join us. One would think if the other party cancelled, we should be able to ask another couple to join us….NOPE! We were seated at a table for 2 (no problem) but it would have been nice if they could join us. Next time.

SO…I vowed to try all new things at Red Ginger – and I did!! So proud of myself (like this is some big accomplishment)! Started with Tuna Tataki, A spicy beef salad, then had the Penaeng Beef (I KNOW it must be spelled wrong- but I have NO CLUE and can’t get on like to check). Christopher had the crispy potato roll, the Crispy Duck & Watermelon salad and the same entrée as me. When the Sommelier came to the table, we told him there’s a bottle in the hold for us. He came back with a look on his face that basically said it all….WHO ARE YOU AND WHERE DID YOU GET THIS WINE. First question…did you purchase this on board? No. Do you have any more with you? No – damn…under his breath. We told him we travelled with our wine this trip. Christopher asked him which restaurant he’s serving on 8/8. We have reservations at Toscana…..and the wine we have for that night is even better. His response…I’ll find you! He then proceeded to sell us on the wine tasting event for tomorrow (Napa wines which we don’t particularly like) – no thank you; then he tried to sell us on this French small production wine…lalalala…we’ve heard it before – wondering if it’s a dog – being pushed HARD by everyone. Pass. Just doing his job, and won’t begrudge him that!

We have made a few “friends” of the staff on board. Today at lunch Malica, a lovely woman who works in food service all over the ship always comments on our shirts, but recalls the ones we wore to Red Ginger the other night and has deemed them her favorite! SO….Christopher let her know we were dining with her again tonight and she requested we wear “her shirts”. We did. When we walked in, she gave us a BIG SMILE and a thumbs up. She than came over and chatted with us for a bit. Daya, our server called us by name and was correct (I’m SURE they have a cheat sheet for that) calling me Mr James, and “my friend” – oh gurl – so much more than a friend by his correct name. It’s that “extra touch” that makes a difference.

Dinner was fantastic-we decided against dinner – they seemed offended…well the Hostess was…she asked if there was anything wrong- we just said NO, we are comfortable and have no more room. Probably a first for her – we didn’t finish everything, and I have a “thing” about wasting food. All those stories from my childhood about China and Africa…and they would be SO GRATEFUL for what you are refusing to eat, yadda, yadda, yadda….We’ve ALL heard the same stories. Some things truly penetrate your brain!

After dinner we took a VERY brief walk on the deck – walked out and walked right back in…too cold! Horizons was nice but water as far as the eyes can see. Then we saw some mountains peering over the low clouds – cool. But not enough to keep us up there. So back to the stateroom and let’s call it a night.

Tomorrow a sea day – so a series of observations. Stay tuned!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb