The Event!


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway
July 6th 2019
Published: July 7th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Blog 10 Nesse Family Reunion

The day had arrived - this afternoon Reidar was to pick us up about 2:00 for the grand family reunion. He would take us to where the tent was ready and waiting at the family home of Hans and Kristiana in Nesse! Of course the day started with sideways rain and looked very dismal. We had to hope it would clear by afternoon as seemed the norm. I had decided to make German potato salad to share with the family and had purchased the items needed on our bike home the previous night. I don’t recall our breakfast that morning but we were eating light as we knew there would be sooooo much food at the gathering. I went to work on the potato salad and then headed to the shower after I finished to prepare for the event.

Now Lois had planned our Norwegian adventure around sharing in the Nesse family Saturday tradition of eating Pannekaken made by her Great Aunt Kristiana, not knowing so much more was planned for us! Her Norwegian cousins put together a fantastic party with traditional food including dried herring (which according to cousin Reidar, smells like shit, but tastes good), cured lamb, gravilax, cold cuts, sausage, Rømmegrøt, fresh squeezed raspberry juice made by Aunt Kristiana, SO many amazing desserts and yes, lefse and Pannekaken. And the sun came out for the party making the day practically perfect in every way!

Our visit coincided with the visit of Lois’s cousins, Ted and Mona Nesse and their daughter, Kirsten and husband Nathan also from the US. It was a magical afternoon! We all had a wonderful time visiting and eating and laughing. Then came the family picture which us US visitors were included in. Reidar, Aud Karin’s husband, took the pictures. We have no idea what he was saying but he talked on and on while taking pictures and everyone was laughing so hard. All we could do was say “say what?!” and laugh as well. I think in addition to being part mountain goat he must also be a stand up comedian.

Then the other US contingent decided to head off to hike the mountain and try to burn all the calories they had consumed. Reidar, our mountain climber was off with them. We attempted to help clean up a bit. Aud Karin was nice enough to show me the old photos in the house and tell me a bit about them. I so enjoyed learning more of the history of this wonderful family.

Then it was time for us to depart. Reidar loaded us up and took us back to our home while solidifying our plans for departure the next day. It was sad to think about leaving. We had been so greatly blessed by this day and all the days prior but none so much as Lois. It was a joy to share this time with her. There were so many priceless moments that words and pictures can never capture or express.

We settled into our lovely cabin for the last night. Peggy retired early while I made fried potatoes for breakfast the next morning. Only Peggy’s portion made it to breakfast though. The house smelled so good after cooking the potatoes that the 3 of us all partook of a late evening dinner. Then we each settled in for our last sleep in Bømlo.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb