Flam


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Flåm
October 8th 2022
Published: October 8th 2022
Edit Blog Post

7th October

Flam

After a bumpy voyage from Stavanger on the North Sea we arrived in the early hours of the morning to the calm waters of the Aurlandsfjord. I set the alarm early to enjoy the scenery but it was pouring with rain and the mist was low over the mountains so it was back under the covers.

We arrived in Flam around 10am, we were booked on the first tour for the journey on the famous Flam Railway which we have been on twice before; one time with snow on the ground another with blue skies and sunshine but today is was grey skies and very wet!

The Flåm Railway was built between 1923 and 1940 in order to assure a transport route to the fjord from Bergen and Oslo. As one of the world’s steepest railway lines on normal track with a height difference of 864 metres and an average gradient of 1 in 18, it is proof of the most daring and skilful engineering exploits in Norwegian history. The 20 km long railway line has 20 tunnels in total, most of them excavated by hand.It was opened 1st August 1940, with two steam
trains in each direction that connected with the day trains on the Bergen Railway Line. Electrification was completed in 1944 making it one of the first railway lines in Norway to be electrified.

We were in the first carriage and I should have remembered which side of the train we had sat before, oh dear we sat the same side again but never mind with all the raindrops on the windows we weren’t too sure just how much we would see. I was surprised when I got back to the ship just how well the photos came out despite a few spots of rain on them.

The changing colours of the leaves was beautiful and autumn has arrived here in Norway.

We stopped at the Kjosfossen waterfall, many stayed on board but I managed to get off ok and took a couple of photos as well as getting drenched again.

All aboard as we continued our 12 & half mile journey to Myrdal 2,850 ft up the mountain passing many waterfalls that were certainly gushing well today.

The rain was easing as we returned to Flam, a few more photo opportunities, I loved the wooden
benches with coloured rocks below.

We were soon back on the ship and heading for a hot cuppa.

Tonight we saw advertised a Viking Buffet, usually dinner is served so it will be different to see what is on offer on the Viking Buffet, we weren’t disappointed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement















Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb