Norway in a weekend


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
November 1st 2011
Published: November 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The aim of this trip was to see as much of western Norway in one weekend. As our time in London is coming to an end, we have been trying to get to places that we won't be able to get to on our planned road trip for next year, while still earning as much as we can- hence the Friday night after work flight.

We chose to head to Bergen on the west coast as we had heard it was one of the most picturesque Scandinavian towns- thankfully it didn't disappoint.

Friday was a write off, as we didn't arrive at our hostel until midnight. We went to bed hoping for no rain for our Norway in a nutshell tour the next day.

Saturday brought clear skies so we excitedly headed to the train station to start our tour. Our full day included trains, buses and boats. The Bergen railway runs all the way to Olso and is said to be one of the best railroads in the world. We caught this about 1/4 of the way into Norway to the Gudvangen Fjord, where we then caught a boat from one side of the Fjord to the railroad town of Flam. From here we took the world famous Flam railway- which is the steepest railway in Europe up the Norwegian mountains. At the very top there was snow and the temperature was 1degree. The tour finished by catching the Bergen railway back to Bergen. We had a great day- and certainly managed to see a lot of Norway.

As we had spent so much money on our tour we decided to go for the cheap option for dinner- McDonalds.... hardly cheap though at about £10/$16 for a big mac meal though...

After an eventful night getting continually woken up by a fire alarm at our hostel sadly we woke to rain on Sunday. Thankfully we had our North Face raincoats so we suited up and headed out to explore Bergen. Sadly the shops don't open on a Sunday so we couldn't shelter in more than souvenir shops. The rain was fairly constant all day but we managed to see all of the town- including the old Warf area of Bryggen. We also managed to walk up the hill to get some views of the town and see the autumn leaves- since it was too overcast to bother going up the funicular. Our day also consisted of a few more McDonalds trips to get out of the rain.

Sadly we headed back to the airport knowing that this would probably be our last time in Scandinavia (for now anyway). Back to London and saving for the next trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



26th November 2011

Welcome Jenny :)
On behalf of the moderators here at TravelBlog, I would like to welcome you to the site. Happy travels, wherever they may be. Nick
10th December 2011
Bergen

Cool picture.

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 71; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb